cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Videos appearing only in Dropbox with Jan 1st 1970 date

Photo uploads dates from iphone are off by 20+ years

Jillwb
Explorer | Level 3

I hit the dropbox backup this morning on my Iphone12 pro and the photos are backing up, but the dates are way off (January 2043/ March 2025 and February 2025), plus the photos with these dates are from 2000-2002.  Any ideas why this is happening?

25 Replies 25

kheberg
Explorer | Level 3

Here's the screenshot of the problem.2023-01-31 10.37.39 pien.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @kheberg, could I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kheberg
Explorer | Level 3
Yes, of course!

K

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kheberg - sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to let you know that I just followed up via email, so please  have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

katie_p
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone could help with an annoying and puzzling problem... I have about over decade's worth of photos stored in Dropbox but some folders have the wrong date in the metadata - so they are taken in 2037 or 2053 and they're always at the top of my Photos display on the iPhone app. 

I have tried to correct this by copying the folders to my Desktop, using Windows File Explorer to remove all possible personal data, and then copying the folders back into Dropbox. But even though the offending metadata doesn't appear to be there any more, Dropbox still seems to see it and they remain at the top of the Photos display on my iPhone.

I tried clearing the Dropbox cache on my PC, and logging out and back in again to the app on my iPhone, to no avail.

Does anyone know what might be going wrong and how to fix it?

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @katie_p, sorry to see that you're having this issue.

Can you please send us a screenshot showing this behavior?

Do you still have those photos saved to your device?

If you do, can you try to manually upload them, to see if that changes anything?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

NB141
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi ....I am also having problems with Video metadata

Videos that are sent to me via social media (WhatsApp) which are then backed up using Dropbox using an iPhone appear with the date Jan 1st 1970 when using the IOS Dropbox app and the Dropbox.com photos page.

When the same videos are viewed on any other photo application, Onedrive/Google or Windows OS they have the correct date.... 

I have been using Dropbox for sometime and this hasn't happened before until now...

NB141_0-1697452122327.png

Dropbox seems to have lost/deleted the created date ...

NB141_0-1697452865265.png

Previous Videos that displayed correctly using Dropbox shows created date.

NB141_0-1697459685196.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @NB141

If you upload images from other social media platforms, do you experience the same thing? 

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling the feature, to see if that makes a difference?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

NB141
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi @Nancy Thank you for the reply!

If you upload images from other social media platforms, do you experience the same thing? 

I mainly use WhatsApp, the problem arises when someone sends me a video. The video is automatically backed up via the Dropbox IOS App and is given a date of Jan 1st 1970. As noted before these videos are dated/viewed correctly on other media platforms, its just Dropbox that has the date problem when the videos are viewed by either the Dropbox app or Dropbox website. All other photos/media received via WhatsApp are dated correctly by Dropbox.

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling the feature, to see if that makes a difference?

Yes I have, plus I have cleared the cache, removed and reinstalled the Dropbox IOS App several times ... 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @NB141, sorry to jump in here, but could you please clarify if this happens with a specific video file, some or all  video files that are sent to you via WhatsApp? 

Does the same thing occur if you download or export it locally to your device and upload it manually to your Dropbox account via a web browser or the (+) button within the mobile app? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?