cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protecting a shared folder doesn't ask for a password.

Password protecting a shared folder doesn't ask for a password.

Dan Laferriere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have set passwords on folders I need to share with people who are not team members. (added a password to editing dan viewing links and saved it)

When I test this it by sending the link to an email address not part of the team it does not ask for a password.

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Laferriere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I figured it out. The folders were set to share with Team Members. I changed the Who has access to "Anyone with link".  

I'm still perplexed about how the other user had access through the link and then got the error message. I changed that folder to "anyone with link" and it works.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Dan Laferriere wrote:

When I test this it by sending the link to an email address not part of the team it does not ask for a password.

Any suggestions?

Do they have Dropbox installed on their device? If so it will detect that and allow access as the device itself is authenticated. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dan Laferriere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox is not installed on the computer.

I'm using the same computer to test the password feature before asking others in my group to use it. I created a new email account and user profile on my computer then sent the link that I had added a password to. I'm the admin for our team. Could that affect how the password feature works?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Dan Laferriere wrote:

Dropbox is not installed on the computer.

I'm using the same computer to test the password feature before asking others in my group to use it. I created a new email account and user profile on my computer then sent the link that I had added a password to. I'm the admin for our team. Could that affect how the password feature works?

Its almost certainly detecting the install somehow. 

Try possibly using an incognito window and copying/pasting the link instead

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dan Laferriere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I used the incognito mode and I just get a generic Dropbox URL.

I used a different computer and a new user email. When I click on the link, I get offered to enter a password when I click on the link. When the password is entered, I get an error message "That didn't work for some reason".

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Dan Laferriere, thanks for posting here!

You mentioned that when you use an incognito tab on your browser, and paste the link there you get a generic Dropbox URL.

Would you be able to send me a screenshot? 

Have you also tried clearing your browser's cache, by any chance? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dan Laferriere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm assuming you want a screen shot of the page I get InPrivate mode.

DanLaferriere_0-1727222561980.png

This is with new user account on the computer, so it seems like the cache should the clear.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Dan Laferriere wrote:

I'm assuming you want a screen shot of the page I get InPrivate mode.

It looks like you're pasting it into the search field of the Bing search engine, and not the address bar at the top of the window.

Dan Laferriere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I tried pasting the link into the address bar. I get a prompt to enter the password. I enter it and get the error message. I cleared the cache and tried a link without a password, and I get the same error message.

I have another user who had a link that worked before and now does not work.

Dan Laferriere
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I figured it out. The folders were set to share with Team Members. I changed the Who has access to "Anyone with link".  

I'm still perplexed about how the other user had access through the link and then got the error message. I changed that folder to "anyone with link" and it works.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Trish S.2 Explorer | Level 4
    Dan Laferriere Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?