cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification when I share a file

Notification when I share a file

AnnaB24
Explorer | Level 4

Hi ! 

When I'm sharing a document to someone with the "Share" button, the receiver would like to get an email notification such as "a document has been shared to you, get access with this link". But so far, there are no notification sent. 

It could be either to people who has and hasn't a Dropbox account. 

Can we have a notification sent to people when we ask to share it? 

Thank you for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

@AnnaB24 wrote:

I don't know if Dropbox can do something for that ? 

Unfortunately not - as its local to each user. 

Dropbox does already send out emails and is whitelisted via most providers as much as it can, however, some just don't accept them or move them to things like 'Cluttered Inbox'. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

They should get am email with notification if its a link, however, many many ISP's block Dropbox emails unfortunately. 

You are much better off copying the link and pasting in to your own email - that way you also have proof of sending should it ever be needed. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

AnnaB24
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your reply. 
The notification has been received yesterday (not the summary but the link and the access to the document itself). 
So emails are note blocked, they are coming really late... Do you have an idea why ? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AnnaB24, can you have your recipient add no-reply@dropbox.com to their email contacts, to see if that helps?

Also, this is a list of email domains that Dropbox uses in an official capacity, so have them make sure that none of them are blocked or black listed.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AnnaB24
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, I'll try that. 
But not really user friendly. I'm managing documents for my non profit association and I have 30 people. So I need to ask to all of them to add the email in their contact but they are not all efficient with their computer. 

Thank you for your help ! 

Annabelle

Mark
Super User II

@AnnaB24 wrote:

Unfortunately not - as its local to each user. 

Dropbox does already send out emails and is whitelisted via most providers as much as it can, however, some just don't accept them or move them to things like 'Cluttered Inbox'. 

AnnaB24
Explorer | Level 4

That's weird because we are using Gmail and even this well-known mailing box, it is not working. 
Nevertheless, thank you for your help. 

alice_dropbox
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @AnnaB24 !

My name is Alice and I'm a product manager working on notifications at Dropbox. We would love to chat with you more on this topic because we think your experience can help us improve notifications at Dropbox. We are hoping to schedule a 30-minute video session via Zoom video-conferencing next week! If you’re interested in speaking with our team, take our short survey so we can learn a bit more about you. A member of our team will review your answers and contact you directly if you’re a fit for our study.

If you are selected, you will receive a $50 virtual gift card of choice (Amazon, Bank Deposit, Charity donation, etc.) upon completion as a thank you for their time.

Please note, space is limited and not everyone who applies will be selected.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

alice_dropbox Dropbox Product Manager
    AnnaB24 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?