cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large number of files (>300,000) “syncing” at boot up on PC, but no record of any files synced.

Large number of files (>300,000) “syncing” at boot up on PC, but no record of any files synced.

DARIEN
Explorer | Level 3

This week, when I boot my PC, the sync manager indicates over 300,000 files are being synced. When the process ends an hour or two later, there is no record of which files have been synced.

This behavior does not occur on my mac, only on the PC and only within the past week or two.

Support first claimed it was due to a new desktop version of Dropbox.

Then support claimed if you have over 300,000 this is expected behavior.

Neither of those sound plausible.

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DARIEN, let's jump right into this! 

Would you mind clarifying the OS you're using on your PC, along with the Dropbox version that you have installed there? 

Both of these reasons that you mentioned sound possible when it comes down to a re-sync of the content inside your Dropbox folder. 

Also, from what you said it sounds like you've already contacted our Support about this. If you don't mind, feel free to send me the ticket number reference, in order for me to locate it on our system.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DARIEN
Explorer | Level 3

I am running Windows 11 Hot. Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

Dropbox version 199.4.6287

This happens daily.

DARIEN
Explorer | Level 3

Here's the real puzzling issue.

Every day DropBox tells me it is syncing 300,000 files. Yet there is no record of this in the sync log. 

Am I to think it isn't syncing 300,000 files? Or am I to think your sync history logging isn't working properly.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DARIEN, could you send us a screenshot of the app's current status as shown in your taskbar?

Also, approximately how many files you're syncing in your Dropbox folder locally on your computer? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DARIEN
Explorer | Level 3

let's focus on one issue at a time. Dropbox claims it is syncing 300,000+ files every time I boot up my PC. If I log off and shut down during the day and there is no activity on my account between the shut down and reboot, when I open it will tell me it is syncing 300,000+ files.

So focus on this: Where is the log of those files synced? I'm looking in sync history and there are about 15 files in sync history yesterday. So why is dropbox syncing 300,000+ files and not putting those files in sync history?

Screenshot 2024-05-27 143813.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DARIEN Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?