cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with syncing a large file - not sure if it's because file is large or if there's a bigger issu

Trying to download a large file (80Gb) from shareable link, but only 39 Gb downloads every time.

sophiepajak123
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all.

I am in desperate need of help with a Dropbox issue. My client is trying to share a 4k large file with me (it's a video file of 90Gb). We both have Essential plans on Dropbox. She has successfully uploaded it at her end and shared the link with me and I can open the link and play it and view it, but when I click to download it just downloads to 39Gb and then stops. I have adequate space on my Mac (it has 240Gb free, of a possibly 495Gb). I have tried in Chrome and Safari, both a number of times. I also have very high speed internet. I am at a total loss as to the issue, has anyone had this before or knows how to solve it? Many thanks.

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@sophiepajak123 wrote:

... when I click to download it just downloads to 39Gb and then stops.

If you have an Essentials account with enough space in your account, use the Save to Dropbox option to save the file to your account, then allow it to sync to your computer through the Dropbox application. It's much more efficient and will pick up where it left off in the event that it's interrupted.

sophiepajak123
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you so much for your reply Rich! I've managed to save it to my Dropbox - thank you! How do I allow it to sync through my computer? I've not done that before. 

Thank you again!

Rich
Super User II

@sophiepajak123 wrote:

How do I allow it to sync through my computer? I've not done that before. 

Do you have the Dropbox application installed on your computer? If so, it's probably already syncing. If not, install the Dropbox application and a Dropbox folder will be created on your local drive. Your files will sync down to the computer. You can use Selective Sync or Online-only to control what data actually resides on your local drive.

sophiepajak123
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich

I didn't have the application installed, but I just went and did it now. While it was installing it did come up with the option to sync my dropbox and I clicked to say yes but it came up saying:

Choose folders to see on this computer
Selected folders will live on this computer. Unselected folders will appear only on dropbox.com.
No folders in your Dropbox (and an empty window, even though the file is now in my Dropbox folder online.)

When I click on the Dropbox icon in my Finder on my Mac, I can see the file there and there is a little blue icon next to it with two arrows on it (implying Sync) so perhaps it is syncing at the moment? But the size of the file says Zero bytes. 

Do you know if this is successfully syncing? Thank you!!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sophiepajak123! Sorry for jumping in. If you see this icon, it means that the file is still in the process of syncing indeed.

Are you still seeing the same icon now? If yes, can you clarify the current syncing status of your Dropbox app?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sophiepajak123
Explorer | Level 3

Hello! I wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to get a large file from a client (it is 159Gb.) I have enough space on my laptop, I've cleared almost 200Gb or approx 450Gb available space.

After issues downloading a similar file (albeit smaller) from her last week, someone here in this community helpfully told me to download the desktop version of Dropbox and sync files, and amazingly this worked. However, with this larger one, the progress bar on the syncing doesn't seem to be moving, and when I hover over the icon it says 2+ days. Is there anything I can do to make this go quicker? 

Also, when I go to play the file within my dropbox account online, I get the error message "mov files are supported but something went wrong." I didn't get this message when I played the previous file from my client (the one that went on to successfully sync) so that's made me concerned that there's a larger issue at play here and that the file won't ever successfully sync. 

Is anyone able to shed some light on what might be the issue here? 

Thank you! Sophie x 

Need more support?