cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an automatic date change to current date when uploading?

Is there an automatic date change to current date when uploading?

gcn2234
Helpful | Level 5

Why this automatic change of date to current date when upload files to Dropbox -- no other cloud type storage system does this date change? I use both Safari &  Windows (depending which laptop I use at time) to do these file uploads. Its a pain in butt that it changes date so I have to upload then go in and modify to date I want. -- I've read about some synching option but not relevant.

I see others have raised this issue but no real ownership by DropBox to fix it seems? Has anyone found a way to turn off this auto date change function?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We appreciate the feedback on this matter. We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @gcn2234 , thanks for contacting us!

It sounds like you're referring to the modification date of new files when they're uploaded to the site. Since the file is technically created as new on the site, the current date and time is used.

If the Dropbox desktop application is installed, files synced from the local Dropbox folder will have their original modification dates.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

gcn2234
Helpful | Level 5

Yes this is exactly what I am talking about - and I note you do not supply any solution 😞

This annoyance does NOT happen when uploading files to other cloud storage (eg Sync or Google Drive and other similar) ONLY Dropbox - there is no need for Dropbox to modify date as far as user is concerned, Many people have complained yet Dropbox does nothing to rectify - very disappointing.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We appreciate the feedback on this matter. We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

gcn2234
Helpful | Level 5
yes i hope Dropbox fixes this soon i will then consider buying a premium package when fixed

bella33
Helpful | Level 5

Today 9 May 2024  I used iphone Dropbox app to upload  95 photos from Mar 2024 , 43 photos out of the 95 photos Dropbox changed the date of the photo (file name) to today's date.  What is going on ?  I'm getting tired of all the changes made to Dropbox that don't work as they previously did.   

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear that, @bella33.

Can you send us a couple of example original names and what they changed to?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

bella33
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Hanna,

1.   I was uploading photos from my iphone so I don't know the actual filename Apple assigns 
      I created an iphone album with 400 photos as this the new limit for an upload to Dropbox and these photos were all created during March 2024 

2. 95 of the 400 (nearly 25%) ended up in dropbox with the wrong file name and I could easily identify them because they ended up as < Photo 9-5-2024, 12 43 03 (2).jpg> 
prefixed with 1,2,3 ,...... because it was the upload date not the photo creation date

3. I could easily identify the wrong file names as the affected file names appeared in Dropbox with the date of the upload and not the original creation date of the photo.

expected Dropbox file name   17-3-2024, 12 43 03.jpg   
    result Dropbox file name          9-5-2024, 12 43 03 (2).jpg

I have been using Dropbox for a very long time and this is the first time I noticed that using the Dopbox Apple App didn't creation a file in Dropbox using the photos creation date

To simplify the issue, if today  I was to upload all my photos from my iphone using the Dropbox app , 10,000 photos put into albums that had  400 photos then in Dropbox every photos file name potentially could have the same date as the filename.

To simplify my issue , if I took a photo of my child in Jan 2015 then when I upload the photo to Dropbox
I want the file name to appear as         1-01-2015, 12 30 00.jpg 
                                              NOT   9-5-2024, 12 43 03 (259).jpg

Please don't go and change any of my dropbox file names.

bella33

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bella33 - thanks for the additional information and your feedback on this. It's been noted in our system and you can let us know if you have anything else to add.

In the meantime,  perhaps you'd be interested in the naming conventions feature?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

bella33
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,   I looked at the naming conventions feature article and I can see the uploaded photos / files that had been viewed / modified on my phone were saved to DB with the modified date.

I have a folder where I did set the rule to capture date, this folder has multiple folders and it didn't work because I did a test of the rule in a sub folder .

Looks like I have to set these rules for each folder. This is so tedious why would I have 1 rule for one folder and another rule elsewhere for something basic like media file names, I like to have consistent rules across all my files so I don't confuse myself or others.  This ability to set a rule to use capture date should be set at the my account level.

Mai

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Eric M.13 Helpful | Level 6
    bella33 Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?