cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see an unwanted double dot in the filename, after uploading to Dropbox on my iPhone.

I see an unwanted double dot in the filename, after uploading to Dropbox on my iPhone.

dapike
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I use my iPhone to take photos and then upload them to a dropbox folder in jpg format.  Dropbox names the jpg with the timestamp of the photo, which I like.  What I don't like is that it inserts too many dots.  For example, and notice the double dot before "jpg":

Photo 2024-08-06, 5 57 02 p.m..jpg

Dropbox has done this for a long while now.  I haven't liked it, but I've been able to cope with it.  However, new today, the "space" right before the "p.m..jpg" isn't actually a space, but now appears to be ASCII character 255.  This is now causing too much grief.

How do I get Dropbox to only use a single dot before the jpg?  (and maybe also no dot between p and m)?  Also, how do I get a real space before the pm?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

geoffmacd
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

This is now fixed in the 392 release if you could try that please

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dapike - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you please clarify your device's exact OS version, and the version of the Dropbox mobile app?

Also, can you confirm if you're manually uploading those files or if you're using the automatic camera uploads feature? 

Any additional information or screenshots are more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dapike
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

iPhone 14 with iOS 17.5.1

Dropbox app version 388.5

I go into the app, then select a folder, tap "Upload", pick a photo (or several), tap "Add", leave the "Save as JPG" option as is, and tap "Upload"

Once the upload file has synced to my laptop (Windows 10, Dropbox 204.4.5420) it has the filename as noted.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@dapike wrote:

Once the upload file has synced to my laptop (Windows 10, Dropbox 204.4.5420) it has the filename as noted.

I'm not able to reproduce this, though I'm on iOS 17.6 and Dropbox 390.1.2 (a beta release). When the file is uploaded, the time is listed as PM, and not p.m. which is where your extra dot is coming from.

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 9.51.40 AM.png

geoffmacd
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Hey @dapike ,

I'm a software engineer at Dropbox. These filenames are generated automatically with system settings. In order to fix this for you, I need to see your device language/locale settings.

If you could please go to the settings app, then General->Language & Region, then report back your current settings (as a screenshot), this would go a long way to helping fix your issue.

Thanks

dapike
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My "preferred language" is "English (Ireland)".   My "region" is "Canada".  Other settings are as shown at Photo 2024-08-07, 5 26 04 p.m..png

geoffmacd
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Thanks, that helps.

The reason you are seeing double dots is because your English (Irish) setting converts the "pm" date format to "p.m." and we don't remove the final period. This does not happen in other languages (Canadian English or American). Will be fixed soon.

geoffmacd
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

This is now fixed in the 392 release if you could try that please

dapike
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, it's working nicely now.  Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dapike Helpful | Level 5