cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm not able to share files that are saved in my backup folder

I'm not able to share files that are saved in my backup folder

euanburton
Helpful | Level 6

I'd like to know why the whole system of sharing has been removed with the introduction of Dropbox Backup.

My workflow has completely been destroyed.

Previously (Before Monterey and Dropbox Backup) I could share all folders directly from my Documents to clients. I have had this workflow in place for a year or so now. Now I'm hearing that this has been completely removed. I can't even access the folders in my browser because it keeps switching over to Dropbox Backup instead of the regular Dropbox site.

From what I read if I want it to work as before I need to create a new folder inside my Dropbox folder instead of in the Folder that is connected to Backup. This would mean I have to duplicate every folder on my drive instead of just being able to share directly.

This was working perfectly for over a year to just turn off this feature without notifying anyone is crazy. I literally can't work right not.

There are folders on my drive that are shared and I can't access basic sharing features because dropbox won't even allow me to access them in the regular Dropbox browser client. 

I hope this can be resolved urgently otherwise I will have to look into a new provider for my cloud-based storage. 

16 Replies 16

Manderooni
Helpful | Level 5

"Send a Copy" definitely doesn't fix the problem for me. I want people to retain access to the folder I share without having to send them a zip file they have to download every time a change is made. 

Manderooni
Helpful | Level 5

PLEASE bring this back. This feature was what made Dropbox work for my workflow. Sending clients a zip file to download isn't acceptable, nor is duplicating all the files I want to share. This is very frustrating. We don['t need to be coddled. Your users are capable of deciding which files to share without sharing access to our entire hard drive. 

admazy
New member | Level 2

For me "Send a Copy" feature doesn't work at all because it has a limit of 2 GB.

Hugo Jobse
Explorer | Level 4

I used to share my files directly from my backup disk to people I collaborate with. As soon as I finished a project, it got uploaded to Dropbox automatically and I could then send it to others. But, since Dropbox Backup came into existence, this option got removed (for as far I know). It was one of the key reasons why I enjoyed working with Dropbox. Is there now another way to share a link? If so, I haven't figured it out yet.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for reaching out to us, @Hugo Jobse.

We appreciate your feedback here.

This is very important to us, so I'll make sure to pass your comments along to our team.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Doud
Helpful | Level 5
Hi there.
Dropbox backup is really cool, and far more secure than a drag and drop folder.
BUT there is a big limitation : we can’t share specific folder inside !
Obviously, it should be a read-only sharing, without modifying the integrity of the Backup.
Example : I have a big external HD with many old photos. Impossible to drag and drop the main directory, too buggy 🙂 but ok with this backup option.
I’d like to share some folders with friends…and it’s impossible. A special “read only shared link” option would be extremely convenient, and would not compromise the integrity of the backup process. If big changes in the backup are made, you can just break old shared links.
Can you add this option ?
On side subject, NTFS compatibility for MacOS would be a vital option (available on other cloud backups BTW)
In my opinion, it’s not a real idea, but just a bug 🙂
Please be aware of this problem, hope this be fixed soon.

Best

Cadencegrace
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue and it's so infuriating that I'm just going to  move to a different file service. What an absolute joke and a complete failure to actually consider what your paying subscribers need/want. What is the point of automatically uploading your files and then not being able to USE THEM..... EPIC FAIL

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Cadencegrace New member | Level 2
    Doud Helpful | Level 5
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Hugo Jobse Explorer | Level 4
    admazy New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?