cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox uploads are extreamly slow all the sudden

Dropbox uploads are extreamly slow all the sudden

leezale88
Helpful | Level 5

Just recently  I swapped my hard drive and created a new dropbox sync folder.  Everything transferred over fairly quick and dropbox did its thing.

I then added 300+gb to the sync folder to be uploaded and what usually takes a few hours is now taking over 3 days and my max upload speeds are 450kbs with no fluctuation.  I also noticed that Dropbox updated on my desktop and there is no way to revert to a previous version or stop dropbox from updating.

I have fiber internet and my speeds are solid on my connection end. 800-900mbs up and down.

12 Replies 12

antoniopetricca
Explorer | Level 4

It does not matter what the upload bandwidth is. Have you considered some kind of problem on your line? As per design the TCP/IP protocol handles transmission errors or lost packets with retransmissions, cutting down the upload speed.

Have you tried to compare the upload speed trying to upload a file to another cloud provider?

leezale88
Helpful | Level 5

Yes I uploaded a 1gb mp4 file to google and it took 1 minute. I dont know what would have changed on the back end. All I did was change my sync folder to a new harddrive. Dropbox did an update and now the app is costing my business a tremendous amount of time.

Also I dragged and dropped that same file on the browser version online and it took about a minute as well. So there is something wrong with the desktop app.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey @leezale88, when you mention that you created a new Dropbox folder on a new hard drive, do you mean that you moved the original Dropbox folder or manually created one?

If it's the former, could you give these steps a try?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

leezale88
Helpful | Level 5

Ive tried just about everyting that i could find on the web. Ive uploaded 100gigs by dragging and dropping the files directly through the website before the desktop app could get through 2 or 3 gigs. I guess ill wait till the next update for things to start working again.

THarrow
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone.

I also have this problem. Through the desktop application with the version 118.4.460 the maximum I can upload is around 100 ~ 300KB/s while I managed to get more than 2,000KB/s 2 weeks ago. On the website I can upload without any speed dropping.

Some things I observed:

First: to do some tests I ended up uninstalling my current version 118.4.460, then I installed the old version 117.4.378 and it uploaded again at 2,000KB/s. This test was done on two computers with the Windows 7 x64 operating system. I also tested the version 118.4.460 on Windows 10 x64 and it does not seem to have any problem.

Second: the weirdest thing is that if in the Bandwidth tab I randomly select the upload rate and clicking on apply the upload speed increases. And it increases every time I choose a different option between “Don’t limit”, “Limit automatically” or “Limit to: -- KB/s” and click apply. But it does not last long and after a while the upload speed starts to drop.

So, I do not know if it is a bug or they changed something in the newer versions that have affected the behavior of the upload speed on Windows 7 in some way.

Anyway, I hope the Dropbox team address this issue as soon as possible. 

leezale88
Helpful | Level 5

What you are experiencing is my exact issue. I installed DB on my laptop and my 1gb files uploaded instantly. The problem is only on my desktop.  I also installed a new hard drive on my desktop sense my original post thinking that it was the hard drive but that didint help even thought the hard drive is twice as fast. I also tried different SATA cables and that didnt help. There is a bug somewhere that I haven't pinpointed. It has to do with the dropbox app and the internet, but its not something on my Internets end.

leezale88
Helpful | Level 5

@RichI hate to say this but 3-4mbs uploads is trash. I was getting 100+mbs prior to this issue. I also installed DB on my laptop and it took 10 seconds to upload 1gb. Both devices are running the same versions of DB. Both devices are on the same Ethernet. There has to be something wrong in the coding of my app on the back end that is throttling my app!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @leezale88, have you changed the bandwidth settings in the Dropbox desktop application?

If you're still experiencing this issue, then there is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Soonjas
Helpful | Level 6

Im also having this exact issue. Getting very slow upload speeds via the Desktop app (windows7).  It seems to cap the upload speed to around 250Kb/s which is super slow!!! I have 20Mbps upload speed on my internet connection.

However if I use browser to upload, it is getting good speeds.

I have tried all different combininations of bandwith settings to no avail. Please help. Can i revert back to an old dropbox version?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    John P.115 New member | Level 2
    nj21 Explorer | Level 3
    Soonjas Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?