cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I have two accounts, and need to merge content between them.

I have two accounts, and need to merge content between them.

Redkraft
Explorer | Level 3

I appear to have two drop box accounts.  One shows up in my ipad apps and on my pc file explorer and works great.  I don't know how to log in or out of it and I have no idea what my user name or password is but I am paying for it.

The other is linked to my older email address and is the only way I can tell people to send me stuff via drop box.  I would like to get everything together in the one paid account but I am worried that I will foul up something if i try to change anything.

If dropbox has phone support I am confident someone could walk me through what I need to do, but they don't.

Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Redkraft, welcome to our Community! 

Based on what you described, it sounds like you wish to merge content from one account of yours, to the other, am I right? 

The first thing you need to do is identify the email address of the account, and plan. You can do this by visiting each account online, and checking your plan page there.

As for further steps, about signing out of the account on each platform, you can see more about this here

Once you've identified the account you want to keep, you can then start the merging process. The easiest way to combine content is to move all files and folders from the older account to the main one you want to use. You can follow Rich's steps here.

If you have any questions, let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Redkraft
Explorer | Level 3

I can sign out of this account on my computer.  But when I attempt to sign into the other account, it just puts me back in this account.  It never asks for for the other email address and password--which in a sense is good because I don't know the password for the other account even though my devices and this computer in a way is also logged into to that account.

To be clear the account I was to use is smoothly integrated with my two ipads right now through the drop box app.   It shows up on this computer via the file explorer, but I can't get there via my browser which, instead, takes me directly to this account.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Redkraft, sorry to jump in here.

If your devices are linked to the account you want to keep using, all you need to do is basically login to the other account and see what kind of files you need from it and share it the way that Rich described in the reply that Megan linked to you.

If you're having trouble signing in to that account, I would actually suggest using a private browsing/Incognito window on your browser.

Let us know how it goes.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Redkraft
Explorer | Level 3

I clearly do not understand any of these instructions.  I have had my own personal computer (not the same one) for 43 years so I am not completely ignorant but nothing seems to work other than brute force downloading things from one drop box on to my computer and then dragging them into the other drop box on my windows file explorer.

Perhaps I should try to explain more clearly.  Although I have access to the drop box I am paying for on my computer via windows file explore and on my ipads via my app, I am unable to log into that account on a browser. Even if I log out of my other account it only allows me to log back into that account.

Redkraft
Explorer | Level 3

I think it is finally working the way I want it to although I am not completely sure I know why.  Thank you for your help.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Redkraft, I'm glad that you've figured this out and that your accounts now work as you want them to.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Have a great weekend!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?