cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable auto backup for specific folder (WhatsApp) on my Android device to Dropbox?

How to enable auto backup for specific folder (WhatsApp) on my Android device to Dropbox?

Michael S.197
Collaborator | Level 9

This feature is suddenly critical worldwide, as Google has suddenly declined to support backing up WhatsApp messages and pictures.  So it's critical for my work and personal records.

NB this question was raised before indicating it's currently not possible. The thread has been closed for futher comments.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/How-to-enable-specific-folder-auto-backup-on...

Please keep this thread open so that others can also convince you it's necessary.

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Unfortunately as so few people have commented on it at all makes it clear that there isnt a desire for this, sadly. 

WhatsApp themselves could build some integration with another back system (such as iCloud on iOS) but they'd need to integrate that themselves.  

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Michael S.197 - sorry to jump in here and thanks for your feedback.

Have you considered using the camera uploads feature and adjusting your settings from the mobile app to include the WhatsApp folder?

Note that this would be for image and video files, not messages. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Michael S.197
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Walter;

Yes, I was already doing that, thanks.  I'm looking for text messages.

Michael S.197
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Mark;
I expect that's because people don't know?  I was only informed this week that this was happening, and given a month to find a solution before Google completely crashes my work and email by doubling the data in my account.  So I'm hoping that other people have also just found out like me, and are looking for a solution.

Rich
Super User II

@Michael S.197 wrote:

I'm looking for text messages.

Dropbox doesn't do that. As Mark mentioned, WhatsApp would need to implement that within their own app using the Dropbox API.

Michael S.197
Collaborator | Level 9

Yes, this is now vital.  As if Google hasn't made enough money, now they force everyone into this data mafia programme.  If we already pay for other cloud services, why should we pay a different subscription for Google. Really shady.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Michael S.197 Collaborator | Level 9
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?