cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I sync my desktop app now on Window, will files be deleted from the site? How can I prevent this?

If I sync my desktop app now on Window, will files be deleted from the site? How can I prevent this?

Korralily
Explorer | Level 3

If I delete a folder in my Dropbox folder on my PC, will it also delete the synced folder on my dropbox account?

I haven't synced to my desktop PC in a long time and I'm worried that I've moved things around so many times that it might sync to my Dropbox account and delete important backed items.

Additionally, can I delete the folders in my Dropbox folder on my PC and start a fresh sync to download to my desktop PC?

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Korralily, thanks for contacting us!

This is correct, when you add, edit or delete files or folders, they will also sync these changes to the site and vice versa.

You can do what you're asking by signing out of the Dropbox desktop application, and then deleting the local Dropbox folder from your computer entirely. This won't affect the files on the site, so when you sign back into the desktop app, the files will simply sync down from the site into a new Dropbox folder.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?