cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to assign a new owner to a shared folder when the previous owner is gone/can't be Identified

How to assign a new owner to a shared folder when the previous owner is gone/can't be Identified

ncsts
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there! How do I find out who is the Team Admin for a drop box shared folder that doesn't seem to show one? Our team has had some turnover and we're not even sure that the person who set it up is still working for us but out of the 21 people who have access to my folder all of them show as "can edit" and no other information.

How can we assign a new admin?

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@ncsts wrote:

How do I find out who is the Team Admin for a drop box shared folder that doesn't seem to show one?

Is this for a Business team account (which would have a team admin) or just a shared folder in a regular account (which would have a folder owner)?

ncsts
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Rich! I believe it's just a shared folder in a regular account, but no one is listed as the owner.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ncsts, if it's just an orphaned shared folder, I would suggest making a copy of the folder and then sharing it with the people you want.

That way, the person who makes the copy will be the owner and can give whatever permissions they want to the rest of the members.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    ncsts Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?