cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I give edit access to a top level folder but view-only to one of the subfolders?

Can I give edit access to a top level folder but view-only to one of the subfolders?

bhawk19
New member | Level 2

I have a folder that is shared with 15 members and all 15 have edit permissions.  All subfolders are set to edit, but I need to change one subfolder to view only.  When I use the manage permissions option to change a member of the subfolder to view only I get a message that says I have to change the permissions of the parent folder.  Is this the only way to do this?  If I change the parent folder to view only, I can't get subfolders to be editable.  Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@bhawk19 wrote:

I have a folder that is shared with 15 members and all 15 have edit permissions.  All subfolders are set to edit, but I need to change one subfolder to view only.

That feature, granular permissions, is something that's only possible with Business team accounts. Otherwise, if they have edit access to the parent, they have edit access to everything within it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@bhawk19 wrote:

I have a folder that is shared with 15 members and all 15 have edit permissions.  All subfolders are set to edit, but I need to change one subfolder to view only.

That feature, granular permissions, is something that's only possible with Business team accounts. Otherwise, if they have edit access to the parent, they have edit access to everything within it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?