cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I sync files with Dropbox from one Windows computer to another?

How can I sync files with Dropbox from one Windows computer to another?

Habsfan
Explorer | Level 3

Good day, brand new to dropbox....!

I have been toying around, but I am definitely doing something wrong as I do not see synchronization happening....! I.e. The files on Laptop is diffenent that dropbox...!

I looked around in the hope to get some "Basics" (And I mean really basic...!) video which would go step by step (with images, if possible) on how to setup dropbox on a Win 11 Laptop, especially on How to sync a folder/file(s).

In the end, all I want to do is to share about a dozen of files (for myself) from my Laptop to my tablet. As there is no sync happening,  I have to manually upload files after every revision...!

I presently use MS OneDrive and it is OK, but I was just "testing" Dropbox just to see the difference and see if there was any advantage using DropBox. Needless to say, that so far I am failing miserably in testing DropBox for myself.

Thanks for any help,

12 Replies 12

Habsfan
Explorer | Level 3

Simple question:

How do you sync files between Laptop and DropBox? 

I have a file which I would like to have it sync between my Win11 Laptop and my dropBox account but there is no sync between it. I see the file on DropBox and it is a different version than the one on Laptop...! 

If you have an Video showing how to setup DropBox on Win11 Laptop and on IPad specifically explaining basics setup step that would be great, as I suspect that I have never installed dropbox correctly on either device from the start. My next step is to remove everything, delete my account and start all over again...!

Thanks,

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Habsfan, thanks for joining the Community!

The first thing I'd like to check is if you've installed the Dropbox desktop application on both computers, using this link, and have signed into the same Dropbox account in the desktop app? Bear in mind that you don't need to set up the Dropbox Backup feature during the installation, as that is a separate feature.

You can see a list of your connected devices on this page. Bear in mind that on a free Dropbox Basic plan, you can only have 3 devices connected at the same time.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Habsfan
Explorer | Level 3

On my Laptop (Win 11) I used the URL (Chrome Browser) of Dropbox.com. On my tablet (Apple IPad) I have the App Store DropBox Application. I noticed that my laptop has the DropBox "app" (Using Win Search) but when I select it nothing is being launch...! According to the link provide above, I have 3 devices on the plan (Laptop, IPAD and Pixel Phone). Once again something weird, my tablet shows location as being in Kansas, Fort Leavenworth...I I visited the place but more than 6 months ago...!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you click on the app icon in the system tray, using these steps, and tell me what message you see on the bottom left?

Do you also see a Dropbox folder in File Explorer on your machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Habsfan
Explorer | Level 3

I see a dropBox Folder with Window File Explorer. I cannot located any DropBox Icon (in the launch tray or Hidden Icon...!). I confirm that DropBox is installed on Laptop using Control Panel list of Installed Apps....!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Does the Dropbox folder, or any files inside it, have any sync icons on the files?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Habsfan
Explorer | Level 3

Although I do not know what the sync icon looks like, I looked at the DropBox Folders and the files in it, and I cannot see anything different from other file or folder. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Habsfan, have you tried uninstalling the app, rebooting the device and then re-installing by any chance?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Habsfan
Explorer | Level 3

I uninstall-reboot and re-install....!

Now what I have is the screen below and when I click open Dropbox nothing happens....!

Not sure what to do next...!

Habsfan_0-1723863993499.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Habsfan Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?