cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I pinpoint the person stealing my documents from a shared folder?

How can I pinpoint the person stealing my documents from a shared folder?

AliT
Explorer | Level 3

Hello everyone,

I operate a Dropbox-based service where I deliver data to customers in real-time. The shared folder is accessible to over 50 individuals, some of whom are reselling my data in violation of copyright policies. How can I identify those responsible for illicitly distributing my data?

Best regards,

AliT

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@AliT wrote:

The shared folder is accessible to over 50 individuals, some of whom are reselling my data in violation of copyright policies. How can I identify those responsible for illicitly distributing my data?

If they were deleting the files it would appear on the Events page. If they're simply making copies outside of Dropbox, there's no way for you to know.

AliT
Explorer | Level 3

wouldn't a premium Dropbox account help me?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @AliT, as it's a shared folder, it wouldn't be possible to determine which user is copying and reselling your information, since the files would sync automatically to all those accounts.

Even if it was a shared link, or if you were on a Dropbox Business account, any user who accesses the file could resell it, since there is no copyright protection on the file.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?