cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Offline Files

How can I make sure my files sync locally on my Windows desktop app?

casian1
New member | Level 2

I have a new PC and downloaded Windows PC app - I see all of my folders and files on my PC so all appears to be good. 

My issue is that my historic files have not downloaded to my PC which means that I cannot access them offline (This is very important to me).

I need assistance on how to sync all my old files to my PC that they are there for offline use and not only when I am online. (I am using an external hard drive for my dropbox files due to the space required ).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

casian1
New member | Level 2

Thanks Walter - after searching for a solution for a couple of days , finally found one this morning. Checking available offline in the APP itself was not enough - I had to go into each folder on my hard drive and right click the dropbox icon and then check "available offline" - as soon as I did this all of the folders started to sync as desired. All good now

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @casian1 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please clarify your device's OS version, and the status and version of the Dropbox desktop app as shown in your system tray?

Have you taken a look at your syncing settings in the app's preferences?

Let me know more and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

casian1
New member | Level 2

Thanks Walter - after searching for a solution for a couple of days , finally found one this morning. Checking available offline in the APP itself was not enough - I had to go into each folder on my hard drive and right click the dropbox icon and then check "available offline" - as soon as I did this all of the folders started to sync as desired. All good now

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear it's sorted now and thanks for keeping me in the loop too @casian1 

See you around the Community and take care! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

T_theresa_A
Community Manager

Hi @casian1 , I am glad to hear you got you got all your folders synced to your preferences. I'm Theresa, one of the Community Managers here at Dropbox and I'd personally love to learn more about how you use Dropbox overall, if you have any interest in sharing? I'm really interested in people's workflows so I can find any helpful tips we can share with you or the internal teams! ðŸ˜€

Rich
Super User II

@casian1 wrote:

Checking available offline in the APP itself was not enough

For future reference, that setting doesn't effect the files that have already synced to your computer. It's only for new files that are added to your account from other sources (another linked device, the website, etc.).

When set to Online, any new files that sync down to the computer would sync down as Online-only. When set to Offline, any new files that sync down to the computer would sync down as Available offline.

Need more support?