cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get users to upload files to a specific Dropbox folder?

How can I get users to upload files to a specific Dropbox folder?

myavatarworld11
New member | Level 2

• I want users to be able to upload files to a specific Dropbox folder from my website.
  • Problem: I’m unsure about the best way to set up this integration and ensure it’s secure.

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @myavatarworld11, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Do you want the option to upload files to be secure, in the sense that not everyone can access the link to do so?

Currently, there is the file request feature, which you can find out more information from here, however, this is a single link which anyone can click on to in order to upload files.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@myavatarworld11 wrote:
  • I want users to be able to upload files to a specific Dropbox folder from my website.

Hi @myavatarworld11,

To do that, you need some sort of API integration (with or without using helper SDK). In general there are 2 ways to do so:

• using generated upload link that desired file gets uploaded through (pre-generated in API);
  • using API upload calls (there are different options).

Both ways have their pros and cons depending exact use case. Use what best matches your targets after get familiar with both.

@myavatarworld11 wrote:

• Problem: I’m unsure about the best way to set up this integration and ensure it’s secure.

I assume you will use your own account, not user accounts. To make sure everything is secure, perform all API calls (doesn't matter what way you select to upload) server side, NOT client side! If you select to use upload link, generate it server side and use client side only the link itself. If you select API upload calls, use your site as something like proxy. API calls require authentication, so if you perform client side calls, your credentials will be exposed - violating your own and your clients security. Just avoid exposing any credentials. That's it.

Hope this gives direction.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?