cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I directly access a file from a shared Dropbox link?

How can I directly access a file from a shared Dropbox link?

genieprimetime
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I want to create a shared link to a file stored in Dropbox that is view only.  I can do that but the link that is generated always displays the image surrounded by the Dropbox interface.  I would like the image to simply display so that it can be used in applications like a dashboard.  My dashboard tool can use an image with a URL link but it wants direct access to it and typically ends in  <filename>.<image extension>. Other cloud storage providers allow for generating 'direct' links.  I don't see that in Dropbox. Thanks.

genieprimetime_0-1711809536479.png

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

Have you viewed the shared link in an incognito window to see how it displays? You are seeing it as the owner as when viewing it Dropbox knows its your image as you are logged in.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II

@genieprimetime wrote:

Other cloud storage providers allow for generating 'direct' links.  I don't see that in Dropbox.

You need to modify the link to render directly in a browser.

genieprimetime
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thanks for your response but still a nogo.  In the image attached, you can see from another image hosting website the type of 'direct' url that I can embed into my 3rd party application to display as part of a report or dashboard. I just don't see that in Dropbox.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @genieprimetime,

Did you try to just append "&raw=1" to the link? If not try it. 😉

Hope this helps.

Edit: My mistake! For this link you would need to append "?raw=1". (it's the only param here)... Or not...🤔 Are you sure the link match to the image? I don't think so... You have edited it! In all case just replace the initial "dl=0" to "raw=1" (either prepended with '?' or'&' - keep the original).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    genieprimetime Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?