cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Sync Issues with filenames not correct?

Dropbox Sync Issues with filenames not correct?

studio_jhh
Explorer | Level 4

We are just syncing all our data to Dropbox and I noticed it is giving me a lot of Sync Issues with incompatible characters.

If I manually check all of the ones it tells me, most of them do not have any special characters in their filename or folders.

Take a look at just this one example:

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 17.39.13.png

I cannot see anything wrong with this file path.

ps: also noticed that clicking on "Go to file" in the Dropbox Sync Issues window does nothing.

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @studio_jhh,

As in many other cases, Dropbox just puts some common message for wide space of possible issues. 🙂 In you particular case the issue isn't wrong symbol as such, but blank symbol at the end (the same would be if it was ta the beginning). Take a look on the folder name Swimming Pool. Is it "Swimming Pool" or "Swimming Pool "?! 😉

Hope this helps.

studio_jhh
Explorer | Level 4

Oh wow, well spotted!

Yeah, they could be a little more helpful in error messages. Especially since the bad file check website isn't working any longer.

Thanks!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@studio_jhh wrote:

... Especially since the bad file check website isn't working any longer.

Take in mind when you check such thing online, only possible issues related to downloading files would be spotted on, not in opposite direction (upload, like in your case). In your case "bad file check website" wouldn't have access to the troublesome file/folder names, so wouldn't be able spot them, even working. The desktop application despite always able see such issues (and not only) Yes - very often emit confusing messages. 🤷 Unfortunately...

Another example is a situation when something does a panic in Dropbox application, in emitted message permissions are always on focus, despite of least half cases don't have anything permissions related (just bugs in the application itself). Anyway...

Good luck.

studio_jhh
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah, I dug a little deeper and basically most of the error messages are not correct. It shows all those folder URLs with a space before the closing ". But that is not in the actual URL, but a bug in the Dropbox Sync Issues window. I mean that window has seen no love anyways. Can't resize the window, weird clipping issues.

Take a look here, you can see the folder does NOT have a space in the end of the name. Also the folder actually synced just fine.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 09.48.45.png

So yeah, basically that whole window is totally pointless.. What the hell Dropbox, it's not that difficult to check a bunch of filenames with a regex. *facepalm*

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

studio_jhh Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?