cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop App stuck on "Updating Dropbox account..." after 10/14 Update was Pushed Out

Desktop App stuck on "Updating Dropbox account..." after 10/14 Update was Pushed Out

abelke
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I logged on this morning to find that my desktop app (Windows 10) for Dropbox is stuck on "Updating Dropbox Account..." and won't budge. I even attempted to re-install Dropbox, and that didn't work. Can someone help me with this, please?

Thanks,

Aimee

screenshot of message from windows appscreenshot of message from windows app

30 Replies 30

htgrimmi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wanted to follow along and chime in that at our org we are seeing the same thing.  In addition we are also seeing partial selective sync, files not syncing when the user is given access/shared a new folder.  Uninstalling dropbox using the complete uninstall method works for a day or two and then the client runs into another folder of file that does not sync completely.  

KaveTheMan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is really bad, now users are actually loosing data because Dropbox have deiced on a pointless update of the whole filesystem no one ever asked about. This should be voluntary and not mandatory.

rodneyseverson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

No one should be losing any files. This is just a clunky rollout that doesn't feel like improved anything and isn't sufficiently documented or supported by Dropbox.

If anything is missing from your computer, just check Dropbox.com--your files should still be there.

TonyEnglund
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@rodneyseverson , that's not always the case. When you save files to your local Dropbox folder and the client doesn't sync, your files never reach the Dropbox servers. As this can, and do happen, and users are not warned about it you are lost.

KaveTheMan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Exactly, no one should be loosing files, but they are, that is the point. 

rodneyseverson
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Good point! 

For the users I had to remove and reinstall Dropbox for, I used Everything (free search application by Voidtools) to search through the local Dropbox folder for anything modified recently, saved the files to the user's desktop, removed/reinstalled Dropbox, then re-added those files to Dropbox. 

Tedious for sure, but minimized data loss.

KaveTheMan
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why even bother with a dropbox client if you have to manually manage the sync process? To force a totally pointless reorganization on customers account resulting in data loss is really not in Dropbox favour and I am sure that is why the cancelled it.

MichaelHill
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For the Dropbox staff asking how long it will just sit like this, I've left my Win11 machine at "Updating Dropbox account..." since the October patch.  It's always on with Comcast Business internet connected.
As has been discussed, I do NOT want to have to manage reinstalling/syncing ~4TB of data if there's any other way around this.  My two Win10 machines completed their updates but the Win11 box has ~1TB of video still to sync.
Could this have something to do with Win11's insistence on using a Microsoft account as a machine account?

MichaelHill
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So what?  That distinction is 100% COMPLETELY useless to a customer.
It's not a >48 hour downtime... it's been over a month.

MichaelHill
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If I wanted to use Dropbox.com, I would not have installed the app in the first place.  The multi-device, large storage (~4TB) and multi-OS (Win10 & 11) experience is atrocious.

Need more support?