cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom sync questions, like syncing multiple computers to Dropbox cloud but not to each other

Custom sync questions, like syncing multiple computers to Dropbox cloud but not to each other

neoftn
New member | Level 2

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting Dropbox or using a cloud service but have never used one before.  I haven't had any luck finding any information about this via Google search.  Here's my scenario:

I'd like to sync two laptops and one desktop (let's call them A, B, and C) to each other and the Dropbox cloud.  I think this is doable and what Dropbox is mainly designed to do, correct?  Then I have laptop D and laptop E.  I would like to sync laptop D to the Dropbox cloud (with its own unique cloud folder) but not sync laptop D's data with any of the other computers.  I would also like to do the same with laptop E (sync it to cloud but no other devices).  Lastly, I'd like to sync my android phone to the Dropbox cloud without syncing it to any of the other devices.

So in Dropbox cloud, I would have folder "A, B, and C," folder "D," folder "E," and folder "Android phone" that all have unique data and do not sync to each other (except devices A, B, and C), but each device still syncs to the Dropbox cloud.  Is this possible?  I honestly have no idea as there is little mention of this sort of thing online but surely most people would not want all the files from their computer on their phone, and vice versa.

Also, does Dropbox always run in the background in real time or can it be scheduled daily, weekly, etc.?  Thanks in advance!!

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II

Hi @neoftn 

I think the first thing I'd point out here is that Dropbox doesnt sync to mobile devices. So it isnt going to download everything from Dropbox to the mobiles. It just syncs an index. You then click on the file and its downloaded for you. Therefore no space is used. 

There is also not an option to do weekly sync etc. and to be honest you dont want to - thats going to cause a HUGE risk of data loss/corruption. 

You could do what you want via Selective Sync, however, I suspect Smart Sync would work better. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?