cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Seneca M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi I've been using that COPY PUBLIC LINK from dropbox.com for years and at first it used to actually copy it to the windows copy buffer as it should.  Over the past couple of months it would pop the address as it should but it stopped being able to automatically copy to the copy buffer, but luckily i could still do it myself manually by manually selecting the text and hitting ctrl-c.  In the latest build of dropbox.com, it doesn't even list the address to the file anymore and obviously it couldn't copy to the buffer beforehands but now i can't do it manually either!  😞

so i can't share any files from dropbox.com right now!  😞  I've tried in both google chrome and firefox and same issue with both.  As for which version of windows i'm running, it's the up to date win10....   Thanks in advance.

-seneca

105 Replies 105

Peter W H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having the same problem as everyone else.  PLEASE Dropbox, fix this as soon as possible !

Jamie L.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Having the same issue, made a ticket earlier in the week when this first started to occur.

Hopefully a fix is on it's way.

Bastian T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

actually found an easy workaround:

just click on the file name itself so it opens in a new window with the file shown centered. Then upper right corner click share, from there you see the link, click copy to clipboard.

This works, is just two clicks more then usual.

Jamie L.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

That does indeed solve the problem, a little more longwinded but still the same functionality.

It's a shame there still needs to be a workaround after 4 days but hey.

Thanks!

Alastair G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Bastian T; Jamie L - regret this does not work for me. I upload MP3 audio files to a 3rd party website, and using your work-around I see the message 'this folder can only be shared as a link'. So I create a link, then copy and paste, but the file just keeps buffering.

C'mon Dropbox, please get this sorted. It can't be rocket science. At least speak to us...

Light A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I get the message "'this folder can only be shared as a link" too, though I try to share an image.

Bastian T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

hmm I got it only tested with zip files, no idea about other files.

dw s.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@Bastian T - I tried that with a single image file and it works but unfortunately anyone you send the link to, who does not have a Dropbox account, will only see the image on a Dropbox page with a box in front of image inviting them to join Dropbox etc and they have to close that box to see the image. So the other workaround provided by Richard p near the start of this thread works better.

Here shows the difference...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25199899/misc/fix-it.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdhe0m0y132i5ad/fix-it.jpg?dl=0

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Here shows the difference...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25199899/misc/fix-it.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdhe0m0y132i5ad/fix-it.jpg?dl=0

Note: The first link is a Public link. The second is a Share Link. It does not work the same way a Public Link does (it displays the file on a preview page by default, when the link is unmodified). Share links can be created anywhere in your account and are not limited to the Public folder like Public links are. This is one of the reasons Public Links are a deprecated feature and no longer come with new accounts.

dw s.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

My account is one of the older accounts that I've had for years. It would therefore appear that the 'Copy Public link' function has now been deprecated for older accounts too??

Need more support?