cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create MS Word docs in Dropbox anymore

Can't create MS Word docs in Dropbox anymore

Stephen Armytage
Helpful | Level 5
I'm a long-term user of Dropbox and I love it's use ability and function. To my dismay, in the past year or so I seem to have lost the ability to create Microsoft Word documents in Dropbox. This is a feature I used regularly, and now it seems to be a long and clumsy process.
Let me explain how it used to work and now doesn't.
I would go into Dropbox on my Android phone, Select the folder I wanted to create the Microsoft Word document in and then Select the "Plus Symbol" found in the blue circle :blue_circle: found floating on lower right hand corner (that option is still there) after selecting the Plus Sign we are presented with an option to "Create or upload file"
After selecting that option, I would be presented with a drop-down list of files I could create. These would include the 3 native Dropbox options of "Paper" "Text File" & 'Upload Files" as well as a list of Microsoft file types, which included MS Word & Excel and maybe PowerPoint.
I would then select MS Word, and a MS Word document would be created and MS Word App would be seamlessly be activated and away I would go, creating content and saving it safely in Dropbox. Happy days!
Now unfortunately when I select "Create or upload file" only the 3 native Dropbox options appear, no longer can I select a Microsoft Document type.
I'm not sure why this change has occurred, and there is a work around I've found, but it's clumsy and time consuming and certainly doesn't have the elegance of what I was used to with seamless integration and function.
My question is, how can I get the elegant integrated "create" MS Word option/ solution in Dropbox back, I don't want a clumsy work around.
6 Replies 6

RyanFromDropbox
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi, @Stephen Armytage -- I'm on the Product team here at Dropbox. Thanks so much for flagging this issue! That sounds really frustrating -- and our team's going to look into this.

A couple of questions to help us triage:

• How long ago did you start experiencing this issue?
  • Are you on the latest version of the Dropbox app from the Play Store?
  • What kind of Android device are you using?
  • Can you briefly explain the workaround you're using, so that our team can dig into potential functionality/behavior differences? 

Thanks in advance for the information!

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @Stephen Armytage ,

I apologise for the frustration of dealing with this issue.

Just wanted to let you know that we are fully aware of the problem you are experiencing.

While I wish I could provide more great news, no changes or updates are planned for the near future.

I appreciate your understanding and patience while our teams work through this.

If there is anything else I can do to assist you or answer any additional questions, please let me know.

Stephen Armytage
Helpful | Level 5

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. So in plain English are you saying you are aware of the issue, however you don't plan to address this issue?

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen Armytage
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for responding to me so quickly 🙂

Judging by the response below it's a known issue. Question, will there be a fix in the future or not?

Cheers and thanks,

Stephen

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @Stephen Armytage ,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We truly appreciate your patience in this matter and want you to know that we’re aware of the issue you're experiencing.

Our team is working on a solution, but we don't have a timeline to share right now.

Rest assured, we're keeping a close eye on things and will keep you updated as we make progress.

Stephen Armytage
Helpful | Level 5
Hi @DBX_Pedro (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1853927)
Thanks for your response and clarification, I await for good news of your technical teams progress and resolution of this issue. Hopefully they have the resources and time to address this matter in a timely manner 🙏🏼
Cheers,
Stephen
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Stephen Armytage Helpful | Level 5
    DBX_Pedro Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?