cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't Open a DropBox link sent to me

Can't Open a DropBox link sent to me

Ron J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am trying to obtain a retirement interview video file that the sender can open with their link and drop box account, but the file cannot be opened by me at my end.
I do not know if it is a firewall issue, but I can't open the link on my end?
I get a response saying it is a "local file" and it cannot be opened. Here is the link:
file://R900E6BR/Users/am1113/Dropbox/File%20May%2012,%2010%2043%2001%20AM.mov

10 Replies 10

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

I too keep getting asked to download dropbox, just to view a link.  What I am getting from all the comments is that the user set up the link incorrectly? 

From the second part of your post, the user sent you a shared folder invite, not a shared link.  Shared folders require a Dropbox account in order to accept the invite.

Also, now that I have downloaded dropbox, I keep getting messages that I have run out of room and have to upgrade for a fee.  I can't even open the new flies my vendor is sending me due to this issue. Anyway around paying for upgrade?

Shared folders count in full against your account (you aren't accessing files in another persons account, you are accepting them into your account), which is why your account will run out of space if you accept the invite - there is no way around this, you need to ask the sharer to send you a shared link instead.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?