cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I unsync folders with selective sync, but keep their names in the Dropbox folder?

Can I unsync folders with selective sync, but keep their names in the Dropbox folder?

simonraybould
New member | Level 2

Hi all.

I'm short of space on my hard drive so obviously I'm going to use selective sync to reduce the folders/files that are stored on there. My understanding is that folders I chose to keep on my hard drive exist in two places - on the harddrive and on the dropbox servers so I'm radically hacking away at the folders I want to keep on my computer and leaving the rest only on Dropbox's servers.

So far so good.

However, that seems to mean I can only access files that aren't selected for syncing but going to dropbox.com. What I'd ideally like is a way of storing the files/folders on dropbox's servers but keeping a 'shadow' of them on my hard drive, to navigate via Finder (I'm on a Mac) as though they were on my hard drive, so that I can access them by clicking on them and they'd (download and) open as though they were on my drive.

Have a missed something obvious 'cos I can't see a way!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @simonraybould, when you edit a file that is online-only, the file would sync to your computer so that you can view or edit it. 

Once you save the file, like a normal local file, it would sync those changes to the site.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@simonraybould wrote:

However, that seems to mean I can only access files that aren't selected for syncing but going to dropbox.com.

That is correct. When you uncheck a folder in Selective Sync, it's removed from the local drive.

What I'd ideally like is a way of storing the files/folders on dropbox's servers but keeping a 'shadow' of them on my hard drive ...

What you're looking for is the ability to mark files or folders as Online-only.

simonraybould
New member | Level 2

Cheers!  I did wonder if that was it. Obviously when I access those files they're downloaded and take up space (d'oh!) for the duration of time I'm editing them etc. Can I confirm that when I've finished editing them (and close? delete?) the syncing means that the new version is stored online?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @simonraybould, when you edit a file that is online-only, the file would sync to your computer so that you can view or edit it. 

Once you save the file, like a normal local file, it would sync those changes to the site.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?