cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: automatic sync

Automatic sync

meh03
Helpful | Level 5

I have a database of publications with publisher subdirectories and issue sub-subdirectories on my desktop computer. I have duplicated this on Dropbox. When I add a new issue to my destop subdirectory, I must locate the specific database and publisher in Dropbox to put the new issue in the right place. Is there a way for Dropbox to know when I add to the desktop database and automatically sync the new file to the Dropbox subdirectory? I don't want to sync pictures, just zip files.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

meh03
Helpful | Level 5

Solved, or at least made insignificant. My difficulty was searching for the specific spot in a multi-layered 20 + Gigabyte database, a significant effort when adding several magazines. It would take me up to 10 minutes to check if I already had a saved copy or needed to do an insert. My working solution was to individually check and place each addition in the primary database, the offsite back-up database and Dropbox. After some finagling I did a copy to from primary database to Dropbox as a whole. Dropbox's sort function tells me which files are already copied in a few seconds (less than 5 seconds even in a 30 + GB database) allowing me to choose to copy only the new file. Good program!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @meh03 - thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to the Community!

If you have the Dropbox desktop app installed on your computer and copy or move this folder with it sub-folders inside your Dropbox folder and work from there while the desktop app is running and syncing your changes you should be good to go as this is one of the main functionalities of the Dropbox desktop app. 

Let me know if I'm missing something obvious please. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

meh03
Helpful | Level 5

Solved, or at least made insignificant. My difficulty was searching for the specific spot in a multi-layered 20 + Gigabyte database, a significant effort when adding several magazines. It would take me up to 10 minutes to check if I already had a saved copy or needed to do an insert. My working solution was to individually check and place each addition in the primary database, the offsite back-up database and Dropbox. After some finagling I did a copy to from primary database to Dropbox as a whole. Dropbox's sort function tells me which files are already copied in a few seconds (less than 5 seconds even in a 30 + GB database) allowing me to choose to copy only the new file. Good program!

Need more support?