cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Mac OSX Desktop to Dropbox

Adding Mac OSX Desktop to Dropbox

kiwino
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Previous versions of Dropbox could mirror the Mac OSX desktop to the Dropbox. 

Is this still possible? If so please explain how? 
Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kiwino wrote:

It is not clear on the Mac how to amend which folders are incorporated within the Backup - i can't seem to browse within it or check ...

You can view your backups and their content on the Backups page. You can manage your backups from Preferences within the Dropbox application.

... the size of the backup itself seems arbitrary as does not comport with the size of my Dropbox (which is presumably part of this backup?)

Your regular Dropbox files are NOT part of this backup. This feature allows you to back up files that are outside of your Dropbox. Your Dropbox files already have version history and a 30 or 180 day recovery period (depending on which plan you have) with which you can restore files.

is there a way to inspect and include/exclude folders from within the backup?

Refer to the manage your backups link above.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kiwino wrote:

Previous versions of Dropbox could mirror the Mac OSX desktop to the Dropbox. 

Is this still possible? If so please explain how?

The former version of the Backup feature MOVED your key folders (Desktop, Documents, etc.) into your Dropbox folder. It didn't mirror them. The folders were physically moved into Dropbox.

The new version of the Backup feature no longer does this and can back up the folders in place. The backups are also stored in a different area within your Dropbox account, separating your backups from your files (as a backup should be).

If your operating system supports moving your key folders, then you can recreate the old method simply by moving those folders into the Dropbox folder. I can't speak for Mac, but on Windows this is easily achieved within the properties of the key folder that you want to move.

kiwino
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you for this clarification. It is not clear on the Mac how to amend which folders are incorporated within the Backup - i can't seem to browse within it or check, and the size of the backup itself seems arbitrary as does not comport with the size of my Dropbox (which is presumably part of this backup?) - although of course it can't be allowed to be recursive otherwise would lead to a runaway space problem.. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kiwino wrote:

It is not clear on the Mac how to amend which folders are incorporated within the Backup - i can't seem to browse within it or check ...

You can view your backups and their content on the Backups page. You can manage your backups from Preferences within the Dropbox application.

... the size of the backup itself seems arbitrary as does not comport with the size of my Dropbox (which is presumably part of this backup?)

Your regular Dropbox files are NOT part of this backup. This feature allows you to back up files that are outside of your Dropbox. Your Dropbox files already have version history and a 30 or 180 day recovery period (depending on which plan you have) with which you can restore files.

Refer to the manage your backups link above.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    kiwino New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?