cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing files without downloading

Accessing files without downloading

AkaraMaker1109
New member | Level 2

I couldn't find a contact email and that Support chatbot was useless. I searched the Support pages and other parts of this Community Board and couldn't find an answer so posting here.

I have a Professional Dropbox Subscription with 3TB; the current space I'm taking up is only 81.1GB. I've created a Shared folder (with Editing Access) as I backed up audio and photos for my husband to access (the files are uploaded to my account since I have a lot of space). He has a Basic Dropbox Account-when he clicks the Shared link, he keeps getting the following messages: not enough space 2.5GB Dropbox almost full, I guess to have him upgrade; or he gets a prompt to download the files-he just needs to view/listen to them not download. Can someone suggest a way for him to access the files without downloading or upgrading his account? I have more than enough space so he should be able to access the files-using my available space, right?

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II

@AkaraMaker1109 wrote:

I have more than enough space so he should be able to access the files-using my available space, right?

If you sent him a shared folder with read/write access he also need enough space in his Dropbox to add the files. Your space doesn't benefit him. BUT if you need just read only access for him send him a link instead that he accesses via the website: https://help.dropbox.com/share/create-and-share-link

@AkaraMaker1109 wrote:

I couldn't find a contact email and that Support chatbot was useless. I searched the Support pages and other parts of this Community Board and couldn't find an answer so posting here.

www.dropbox.com/support is how to get to support but chat is only open during office hours Mon-Fri so it may be that you are outside of that when trying

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?