cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing a Shared Folder using Free Account

Accessing a Shared Folder using Free Account

KR22
New member | Level 2

Help! I have a client that uses Dropbox and has shared a folder with me (4 GB currently). In order to access the folder, Dropbox said I need to sign up for an account. I signed up for a free account but now Dropbox is saying I can't access the shared folder because it is too big. 

Do I really have to buy a silly account to access a folder that isn't even mine? This folder is the only thing I am going to use Dropbox for, so I really don't want to have to pay for something I don't personally need. I'm doing this work pro bono because they are a nonprofit and would hate for either of us to have to pay more than necessary to just access shared photos and videos of rescue animals. 

Thanks for the help!

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@KR22 wrote:

... I can't access the shared folder because it is too big. Do I really have to buy a silly account to access a folder that isn't even mine?

If the shared folder is larger than the space in your account, then yes.

If you don't need edit access to the folder, the owner can send you a shared link to the folder which will allow you to view and/or download the files without needing a Dropbox account.

Rich
Super User II

@Enableanarchy wrote:
I was sent an email with a link to view a folder on Dropbox but it won’t allow me to view the contents of the folder unless i buy a subscription.

If it's saying you can't access the folder without a subscription, then you weren't sent a link to view a folder. You were invited to a shared folder, which requires an account with enough available space to receive the share.

If you only need to view the files, ask the owner to send you a view-only shared link. You won't need to subscribe, and you won't even need an account.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Enableanarchy, thanks for posting here! 

Does the link open directly in the Dropbox app on your mobile, or your browser?

If it's the latter, you should have the option to close the window, and proceed to the link provided your account's quota can handle it. 

Feel free to send me a screenshot -while covering any personal info- in order for me to have a visual too.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Enableanarchy, you should be able to click on the camera-like icon and attach your screenshots back to me.

If you're having trouble doing so, or if you're using your phone you might need to request the desktop version of our site in order to do that. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?