cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder sync problem

A specific shared folder doesn't sync locally to my desktop app. Could it be because of its name?

JennyDy
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I have a question regarding malfunctioning sync to my computer. I use the Dropbox with synchronized folders on my PC, but lately I have had some trouble with this. I have been invited to access several different shared Dropbox folders without any problem. However a few months ago I was invited to a shared folder, and I have access to it online on the web, but it just won't sync to my computer. I thought maybe it was just a temporary problem so I have waited surely six months without doing anything about it, but the problem still remains. About a week ago I asked the person who invited me to remove the invite, and then add me again. I saw that my access was first removed, and then added again, but I still can only see the folder on the web, and not as a folder on my computer. I am a non paying user and I have been invited to other folders without any problem. I have not had this problem with any other folder that I have been invited to before. Does anybody know what the problem or the solution could be? The name of the foder is Nya kommunen u.b. - could the problem be with the naming, that it won't accept the two full stop punctuation marks in the folder name? Thank you so much for any help.
Best regards
Jenny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JennyDy
Helpful | Level 5

Yes it worked, thanks a thousand times!!! 😃😃

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

@JennyDy wrote:

The name of the foder is Nya kommunen u.b. - could the problem be with the naming, that it won't accept the two full stop punctuation marks in the folder name? Thank you so much for any help.
Best regards
Jenny

That is exactly it 🙂

Rename the folder (dont worry it wont change for others) and it should sync just fine 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JennyDy
Helpful | Level 5

Wow thanks, that was a really fast answer! I just want to make sure I've understood correctly. I can then, as an invited user to the folder, change the name of the folder on the web, without changing the name of the actual folder that my friend created? All other users will not see the name I give the folder, but the name (with the two full stop punctuation stops) that my friend named the folder with from start?

I hope this is understandable, but did I understand correctly then?

Very many thanks again for the fast answer! 🙂
Best regards
Jenny

Mark
Super User II

Hi @JennyDy 

Yes that is right. 

You can rename and even move shared folders around your account at will without impacting other people. The only thing to make sure you DONT do is put them inside of each other. So I have all of my shares in a (very originally named!) folder called 'Shares' where I name them something helpful rather than what they usually come as which is 'work for Mark'! 🙂 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JennyDy
Helpful | Level 5

Yes it worked, thanks a thousand times!!! 😃😃

Need more support?