cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where does dropsync belong in all this

where does dropsync belong in all this

stevanmacgregor
Explorer | Level 3

I used to have just two android devices, a tablet and a phone. For long I tried to emulate my old experience with backup systems in Mac, and tried to bend dropbox to that task. It never seemed to work very well: syncing was always interrupted by one or another. Today I'm now also running a copy of Windows 11 Pro, on its own device, but I still get missives from Dropbox (if not more!) Over recent days, Dropbox has encouraged me to run their "automated" setup, which seems to target my pc. And I do admit it seemed pretty easy to activate an auto backup of Windows files of my choosing. That's great, and thank you. But now I'm wondering, well, what about backing up my android devices, too? I'm either not equipped or interested enough to pursue this on my own. Should I continue to wrestle with Dropsync, or is there a way to utilize what seems to be this "new" Dropbox facility? All you nerd types, you should know, from my perspective, Dropbox seems impenetrably dense. This is why I was encouraged to try their "new" approach, which is adequate (I think) to manage Windows backup, but makes me continue to wonder, can this swell bliss be adapted to manage my Android files? Dump Dropsync or use it? 

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @stevanmacgregor, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The Dropbox Backup feature currently only works for desktop devices.

Just for clarifications, are you referring to the backup of three folders on your machine, and not for an entire hard drive?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

stevanmacgregor
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I think we're talking about 3 files (are you supposed to know about that?). Problem is, I closed the dialog box that assisted me in setting up the backup, and now I can't find it again. Can't recall what it was called, unless it was "Dropbox Backup" (still, it's not in my start menu, nor in apps list (and, of course, all this refers to my pc, not my androids).

It's in my phone and tablet (androids, both) that I had been trying to get Dropsync to cooperate. Regardless of whether that system works well for me, I yet wonder if this new approach is supposed to work in conjunction with, or instead of, Dropsync, or maybe the one is just for android, the other for pc (desktop?), maybe you can parse that for me.

Thanks for addressing me; appreciate your help (I guess, unless my 3 files were supposed to remain confidential). 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @stevanmacgregor, sorry to jump in here.

Just to clarify, DropSync is a 3rd party app, unrelated to Dropbox;

Can you let us know what it is you'd like to back up to Dropbox from your Android phone?

If you want to back up the photos and videos you take with your camera, you can use our camera uploads feature.

Other files, e.g. documents, you can manually upload from Dropbox app, by following the steps here.

If you're having trouble using DropSync, I would suggest you also reach out to their support page for more info.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    stevanmacgregor Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?