cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Syncing Issue, Dropbox Icon missing

dropbox icon missing from the menu bar

Naima-Dragon
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi community,

All of the sudden, the dropbox icon has disappeared from my mac menu bar. It happened a few weeks ago, but I see that everything would synch up by seeing the green check mark appear. But today, some files don't seem to synch up as it shows the little blue circle. So I am not sure what is going on.

I've spent some time researching and it seems like uninstalling the app was a step that could help. But every time I try to move the app to trash it shares the following message

Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 10.54.58 AM.png

I am not sure how to close it. I've logged out from the browser. I've removed the app from my sidebar. I tried to move the app to trash and got the same message again. I turned off my computer. Now I really don't know what to do.

I have some work file to turn in and I'm stuck.

Help please

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John72
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This was solved by customer support. Thanks! 

The solution was to uninstall dropbox and redownload it.

John

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Naima-Dragon, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try quitting the app from the 'Force quit' menu in Mac OS, and then uninstall the app?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Naima-Dragon
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. But I don't understand what you mean. What are you referring to when you say "force quit" the "app". Can you share some screenshots of what you mean? I access my dropbox from Finder. I don't have an app open .Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 12.20.10 PM.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Naima-Dragon, sorry to jump in here! 

In order to fix this, would you mind opening the 'Activity Monitor' utility on your computer, normally located under Applications > Utilities, to see if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing the app from being removed from your device?

Once you have launched 'Activity Monitor', if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, please click on the line that references the process to select it and then click on the 'X' at the top left corner of the screen. 

After you've done so, please try to follow the normal uninstall instructions.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

SL001
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem (icon is missing from Mac menu bar). Actually it intermittently appears (though rarely), but has been missing more 90% of the time last few months. I forced quit through Activity monitor (as otherwise couldn't delete because of "open" error message previously referred to). I then deleted the app (from Finder> Applications), and re-installed. But still no Dropbox icon in menu bar!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to see that you're having this issue, @SL001.

Can you let us know your computer's OS version and if you've updated your Dropbox app to the new Dropbox for macOS version?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

SL001
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

MacOS is Ventura 13.5.2 

I don't know how to confirm current Dropbox version, but I deleted and re-downloaded Dropbox today, in an attempt to fix the issue, so I assume that would be the most updated app. Is that not a correct assumption?

During one of those moments when the icon briefly appeared last week in the menu bar, I was able to get info on Dropbox version by clicking on the icon,c and took a screenshot. It was "v184.3.6480", with a tab on the bottom "leave Beta", which I must've signed for before. Again, I a assume that delete/redownload today may have updated or changed that, but not sure how to identify current DB version without access to the icon in the menu bar.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SL001, if you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

John72
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello All,

Since Columbus Day, a few of our users are not syncing files and the DropBox Icon is completely missing from current running operations. Being in accounting, we work in dropbox desktop daily and share invoices. Without being able to see what the other user is doing, we can lose invoices and our vendors won't get paid. I've reached out to the DropBox team and got one response this morning but no follow ups and we really need help. I've tried following the steps and try to download dropbox but it still doesn't display the icon.

Is there a customer support phone number?

Thanks for any help!

John

John72
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This was solved by customer support. Thanks! 

The solution was to uninstall dropbox and redownload it.

John

Need more support?