cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“You have been denied permission to access this folder.” error after issue with motherboard

“You have been denied permission to access this folder.” error after issue with motherboard

Sam88
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I’m having a problem with my laptop. The motherboard is cooked, and my laptop has only a 512 GB SSD. I tried to back up my data using an SSD enclosure, but I’m encountering an issue where I can’t access certain folders that were synced with Dropbox. It says, “You have been denied permission to access this folder.” My Dropbox was syncing specific items like Downloads, Desktop, and Documents, but it’s now full and has stopped receiving the latest files.

Currently, I’m able to retrieve the latest files from the Desktop folder, but not from the Downloads or Documents folders. Why is this happening? Do I need to repair the motherboard first to recover the files from the Downloads and Documents folders? How to get back my Downloads and Documents file folders?  Can you help me with this?

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sam88, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the error, so we can have a visual of the issue?

Also, what's the exact sync status of the Dropbox app, at the moment?

You can see that, by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.

Thanks.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sam88
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Ms. Hannah, my laptop is currently in the workshop. Here, I've received a screenshot from the technician, which you can view using the link from Google Drive below. Please refer to the images in the order they are numbered.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E0ZoKdHDByVqsWaU-0VxK2gnSGoQ7avt?usp=sharing 

I believe my Dropbox isn't syncing anymore because it has reached its storage capacity limit. Currently, my Dropbox only contains files from 2019 and 2020. Since the storage was full, it has stopped syncing, so the latest files from 2021 and 2024 are not being updated. Currently, I’m able to retrieve the latest files from the Desktop folder only which is 2024, but not from the Downloads or Documents folders. Why is this happening? Do I need to repair the motherboard first to recover the files from the Downloads and Documents folders?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sam88!

For security reasons, we can't access the screenshot through such links; can you attach it to your next reply, using the camera icon above the reply box?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Sam88
Explorer | Level 4

How even I insert the images into Dropbox comment from my laptop internal drive (/C:)? Even I'm clicking the camera icon, it's showing image source link? So inconvenient. I need to insert those images to Dropbox first that linked it? My personal laptop is even at repair shop and how to upload into it as my Dropbox storage is full?

On top of that, I create my own domain to allow you to view the screenshot images with brief descriptions that show each step. Here is the link : http://modein.000.pe/dropbox_error.html Hope you're able to see those images.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

The problem is that we can't access any links, and that's for security reasons.

You should be able to attach the screenshots themselves to your reply, if you have them saved to your hard drive, from that camera icon.

Can you clarify what you mean by "image source link"?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Sam88 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?