cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox app on my MacBook Air will not work on Mac OS Sonoma

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

383 Replies 383

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ah sorry, I forgot to link the page @aaronmgould 

Here's the page to download the installer: 

Let us know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

aaronmgould
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter!

I tried doing these steps as you suggested and I am STILL having the same issues. Below are images of what the screens looks like on my end.... Basically it is just frozen and nothing is happening. The version that was installed is v185.4.6054. 

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 1.59.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 2.00.08 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you granted Dropbox full disk access as outlined here as well @aaronmgould?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

aaronmgould
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

Still having the same issues after completed the previous steps that you outlined. Below are screenshots of what the current screens look like on my computer. I also tried restarting my Mac computer as well and same issues persist... 

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 2.57.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 2.57.24 PM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @aaronmgould.

Is it possible that you might have some kind of VPN, antivirus or any kind of security app that could be blocking Dropbox?

If you do, try temporarily disabling them, to see if that helps.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

aaronmgould
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hey there! Thanks for jumping in and helping me out! I don’t have any security software that would be blocking Dropbox from working.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

We're almost 20 days into using MacOS Sonoma.
My Dropbox has been updated to version 185.4.6054, but in reality, nothing has changed.
File indexing is still stuck.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

@CHRISTIAN ARCOS did you try to recover them by DropBox web site? If you have a Premium account you should be able to do it. Nothing can be deleted immediately. 

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

@CHRISTIAN ARCOS this is a very serious matter. If I were you, I would have already filled the Internet with this issue. I've already done so regarding the MacOS Sonoma speech.

What is happening is unacceptable. I repeat, there are people who are paying for a service that isn't working. We work with DropBox here, this is no joke. Furthermore, DropBox shouldn't take these matters lightly. If the news gets out in the press, there's a risk of losing in the stock market, and those are real problems.

Konigi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The 185.4.6054 Dropbox update in my case brought back thumbnails for most files. I'm happy this is working again. But along a few old bugs, such as receiving an alert such as "Can't bring these files online-only as some of them are still open" (they aren't) and Finder being more sluggish than it was. And I have more files which are still "Synchronising" for a couple of hours.

Need more support?