cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no Dropbox icon on my taskbar in Windows 11?

Why is there no Dropbox icon on my taskbar in Windows 11?

Merf
Explorer | Level 3

I just got a new desktop PC running Windows 11.  I have two Dropbox accounts (personal and work).  The existing Dropbox folders from my old PC were copied onto my new PC.

Nothing was synching, and there was NO Dropbox icon in my taskbar, nor on my desktop (after installing Dropbox TWICE).  So I uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled it, which seems to have worked normally (it asked me which account I wanted to sign into, and finished with a webpage with an "Open Dropbox" button that purportedly would open the desktop app).  But it apparently created ANOTHER Dropbox folder on my PC (so now I have 3), and there is STILL no Dropbox icon in my taskbar.  On my desktop, there is only a shortcut to the (new) Dropbox folder, which is apparently set to "cloud only".  Clicking the "Open Dropbox" button on the webpage gives me an hourglass for a few seconds, but does nothing else (nothing opens).  I'd like to synch to my work Dropbox, but apparently that requires opening the (non-existent?) desktop app.  So...

• What is going on??  Why is there no Dropbox icon?

• It showed me both of my Dropbox accounts during the installation process.  Why does it only let me choose ONE (and then NOT synch to my existing folder)??

This is getting VERY frustrating!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I think that would be best indeed, @Merf.

As long as the Dropbox folders that the app created have all your files and are syncing correctly, you can delete the old, non-syncing Dropbox folders.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Merf, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you certain that there is no Dropbox icon in the system tray near the clock? 

Is it possible that it's hidden automatically by Windows? A screenshot of your system tray would help greatly.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Merf
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Yes, there is now a Dropbox icon (hidden) in my system tray (there was not one previously).  But the info in Help says the icon should be in my taskbar, so that's a bit misleading / confusing.  I was finally able to synch my work account, but it RENAMED my existing (work) Dropbox folder and created a new one!  So now I have FOUR dropbox folders (two old ones, which don't synch at all, and two new ones, that are "cloud only").  Not helpful!!  Why doesn't it just synch to my existing folders?!?!?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Merf, renaming the Dropbox folder, while the app is linked to two accounts (Business and personal) is not possible, hence the new Dropbox folder.

Is your goal to sync the already existing Dropbox folders (that you copies from your old PC) without having to redownload the files?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Merf
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

I have only added one new file to my local (old, personal) Dropbox folder, so I think the simplest thing would be just to copy that file into the new personal folder (and then delete both of my old Dropbox folders).  Would that work OK?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I think that would be best indeed, @Merf.

As long as the Dropbox folders that the app created have all your files and are syncing correctly, you can delete the old, non-syncing Dropbox folders.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Spike1982
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same exact problem (installing dropbox on windows 11 created a shortcut to windows file folder and clicking on dropbox icon results in hourglass for a few seconds then no apparent action) and have read this thread several times. How do I open the dropbox app - not a windows file folder?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Spike1982, if you check your system tray (where your clock settings are showing at the bottom of your screen), can you see a small Dropbox icon? If yes, clicking on it should open the Dropbox app and not the Dropbox folder. 

If you can’t see the Dropbox icon, try clicking on the small arrow that may be showing there.

In case this doesn’t help at all, I'd like a screenshot of what you see in your system tray instead.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Spike1982
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox app attempted launch 

Nancy, I have a dropbox icon pinned to taskbar. When I click the icon, dropbox grinds for a while, but nothing happens. Task manager shows a process launch, but the dropbox app is not visible.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Spike1982, have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing the app by any chance? 

Also, due to security & privacy reasons we can't access your link so you might need to attach your screenshot directly to us here, by clicking the camera-like icon. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DBoxTips Experienced | Level 11
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Spike1982 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?