cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I click the Dropbox icon on my task bar, there is no avatar for me to choose from.

When I click the Dropbox icon on my task bar, there is no avatar for me to choose from.

Judy12159
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'll start with this: When I open Dropbox from my taskbar, there's no avatar for me to choose to set up Sync. If I go to my Dropbox account online, there's no Sync option under Preferences. Where am I going wrong? Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Judy12159, I hope you're doing well! 

Have you made sure that you're clicking your little Dropbox icon, that is located next to your WiFi, when trying to find your avatar, and preferences and not the bigger one that looks like this?

As for your account online, you wouldn't be able to find your Sync tab, and preferences there, since these are tabs on the desktop app. Can you clarify what it is, that you're trying to achieve on your end? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Judy12159, I hope you're doing well! 

Have you made sure that you're clicking your little Dropbox icon, that is located next to your WiFi, when trying to find your avatar, and preferences and not the bigger one that looks like this?

As for your account online, you wouldn't be able to find your Sync tab, and preferences there, since these are tabs on the desktop app. Can you clarify what it is, that you're trying to achieve on your end? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Judy12159
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Well, it looks like my Documents file is being correctly backed up and up to date, although I don't recall ever setting up the backup/sync process. In the process of figuring this out, though, at one point I was asked for my 12 words, which I had, but I was told that at least one of them was incorrect. Somehow, though, I was eventually able to check the backups to see that they are, in fact, accurate.

Will I have any issues in the future accessing my backups?

Does this mean I won't need Carbonite anymore? 😀

Judy12159
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

One more (stupid?) question: There's constant reference to "external drive backups." If I haven't chosen an external drive, is my backup available on dropbox.com?
Another stupid question: The other day I copied my Documents folder to Dropbox using the blue icon. Obviously, that's not being backed up regularly. Can I just delete that?

Judy12159
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

• Open the Dropbox app and tap the menu button.
  • Tap the gear icon (or Settings in older versions of the app).
  • Under the Features section, tap Configure Passcode.
  • Tap Turn passcode on.
  • Enter and confirm your new passcode.

On my Pixel 7, I don't have a "features" section. How can I set up a passcode?

Also, can I set up a passcode on my Windows computer?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Judy12159, let's address one thing at a time. 

Firstly, you shouldn't be having any issues with your Backups, but if you do we're always here. And yes, you should be able to see all of your Backups online here

When you say you copied your Documents folder using the blue icon, do you mean that you dragged and dropped the content there, or copied it? Provided that you have our Backup feature enabled, that should be happening automatically if you have chosen to backup Documents in your Dropbox folder. 

When you say delete that, are you referring to the blue Dropbox icon, or something different? 

Lastly, as for the Passcode, this is a feature found on our mobile app, and it's not available on desktop. When you follow the steps provided in the Help Center article, I'm assuming you don't see the option there, right? 

Which version of our mobile app do you use on your end? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Judy12159
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Sorry for so many questions all at once.

1. Yes, I can see all my backups at the link you provided.
2. Before I realized that my Documents folder was being backed up automatically, I had copied it manually to Dropbox. I'm assuming that's a totally different folder than the "official" backup. Is that correct? I wasn't asking about deleting the icon.
3. Hmmm...Is there a reason why the passcode isn't available for the desktop? Doesn't that result in a lack of security?
4. Is the version the "External version: 278.7? If not, where would I find that? I just installed it this afternoon if that helps!
5. In the instructions I get to "Under the Features section, tap Configure Passcode," but there's no "Features" section!
Thanks for your patience.

Judy12159
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

P.S. I was just asked to set up a passphrase for my desktop, so I did!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Judy12159 wrote:

Is there a reason why the passcode isn't available for the desktop? Doesn't that result in a lack of security?

It actually results in a false sense of security. Adding a passcode to the Dropbox application doesn't protect your files when they can be easily accessed on your computer through Explorer or Finder. Secure your computer so it requires a password to sign in, and you won't need to worry about the Dropbox application or your files.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Judy12159 wrote:

I was just asked to set up a passphrase for my desktop, so I did!

The Dropbox desktop application doesn't have an option for a passcode or passphrase. Are you sure it was Dropbox that you set that up in?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Sneds1 New member | Level 2
    Judy12159 Helpful | Level 7
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?