cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The newly installed Dropbox won't open on my laptop with Windows 10.

The newly installed Dropbox won't open on my laptop with Windows 10.

sabaris
Helpful | Level 5

newly installed dropbox (laptop, windows 10) will not open so cannot move it to file explorer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sabaris
Helpful | Level 5
Hi Megan, thanks so much for your help. I have resolved the problem more or less and can live without sync for now as I am used to copying files to usbs snd dropbox as I go.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

sabaris
Helpful | Level 5

I have installed dropbox on my new windows 10 laptop but cannot open it so cannot set preferences (I would like it to be in my file explorer with all its contents so I can simply drag and drop files/folders. It opens OK via Chrome, only not on the laptop.  Vina was helping me but it took me too long to deal with her request (I am 80 years old and a bit shaky/slow) so the thread was closed.

I hope someone can help me. thank you.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sabaris, welcome to our Community! 

It seems you're having some problems with the app when using it with your Windows 10. 

Would you mind clarifying what you mean when you say that you wish to move it to File Explorer? The app should automatically create a Dropbox folder in your File Explorer by default when you install it, in order for the folder to sync all of your content there. 

Do you get any specific errors when trying to open our app? 

Share with me as much info, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sabaris
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you Megan. I typed my reply but it vanished before I could hit send (I think)

1. cannot open dropbox on my new windows 10 laptop

2. on my old one, the dropbox folder and all its subfolders was in file explorer, so I could easily drag and drop from one to the other. Is there an alternative way of doing that? Or would syncing help - if I could open dropbox in the first place to set it up?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sabaris, thanks for the reply! 

However, a few things are still not entirely clear to me. 

You mentioned that the app can't be opened. Do you get any errors? What is the behavior you experience on your end? Please feel free to be as detailed as possible. 

As for the Dropbox folder, as mentioned above it would automatically be created in your File Explorer, after the installation of the app. 

You should be able to access your existing files there and add/edit/remove any files you want. Have you made sure that the app is successfully downloaded and installed? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sabaris
Helpful | Level 5

I am not sure you received my reply, so here goes again

I have twice uninstalled and reinstalled dropbox on my new windows 10 laptop but still it won't open, and it shows up only in the start panel, not in file explorer. So how can I drag and drop files from documents to dropbox?

I do hope you can help.

sabaris
Helpful | Level 5

correction - the shortcut shows in Desktop in file explorer, but I can't see how that helps me 

sabaris
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Megan, thank you for replying.

There is no dropbox in file explorer, though the icon is sitting in the window with squares next to the start panel. When I click on it, nothing happens.  This is the third time I have uninstalled and started again with the same result.#=

Apologies for slow response, I was expecting answers on the community page not by email, found yours by chance,

sabaris
Helpful | Level 5

ignore symbols in last message, I am finding it difficult to get used to a small keyboard and they got in by mistake

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sabaris, do you have a small Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi on your task bar?

If so, then would you mind clarifying the app's syncing status at the moment? 

Have you also ensured that there's no antivirus, a firewall or even a VPN/proxy setting that could be causing this? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    sabaris Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?