cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dropbox desktop application can't be opened on Mac OS, why?

The Dropbox desktop application can't be opened on Mac OS, why?

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

I have a Mac desktop and have been using a basic Dropbox account for a number of years on this as well as an iPad and iPhone.  Because of an issue with the OS, we had to wipe the hard drive clean and basically start from scratch.  I did have an external hard drive and also used the cloud.  My problem is that when I click on the Dropbox App I get a message from Finder saying Dropbox can't be opened.

I have tried deleting the App and downloading the App new, however Dropbox always takes me to the online application, which I do not want to use.  I have tried using an incognito window to download the App and it requires that I sign in and I am not finding a way to download the Aoo.  I went to the Apple store and it just shows third party Apps.

I would appreciate any suggestions from the community!

Thank you!

26 Replies 26

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @TE16, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

How many devices do you currently have connected to your account according to this page?

What happens when you download the offline version of the Dropbox desktop application?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay ~

Thank you for responding!

I have Dropbox offline version on my iPhone, on an iPad and I used to have it on the Mac computer I am in the process of trying to get an offline Dropbox App downloaded on.  I just am not able to download the offline icon to use on my desktop.

Although I have a an icon on my desktop currently however when I click on it, I get a message from Finder that "Dropbox can't be opened."

Any recommendations on how I can accomplish this, I would appreciate it greatly!

Thank you!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay ~

I did the advance re-install for a Mac and although it was successful, in the profile it is using an email address that I do not use for this account.  I have not been able to figure out how to change the profile email address. 

I have had this experience before when trying to re-install the App/icon on my desktop without luck.  I did try to find something in through search and did not find anthing that helped.

If you have a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Toni

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @TE16, I hope you don't mind me jumping in here!

Just to clarify, do you wish to change the email address of the account that is linked to your computer, or sign in to an entirely different Dropbox account on the app?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

I have an account that is under a Comcast email address.  This account has all of my "stuff" in it.  The account that keeps populating, that I never intentionally set up or are paying for (hopefully) is under a Gmail email address and has nothing in it.

I believe what may have happened is that when I tried to sign into the account, I used the option to sign in through Google and didn't realize that it would create this issue.

Thanks Hannah!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@TE16, in order to sign in to the correct Dropbox account on the desktop app you’ll need to log out and then back in with these steps.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy ~

I followed the steps for logging out and it removed the icon from my desktop. I then followed the link to download the App for my desktop and it automatically puts me into the Gmail address email without an ability to change it.

Any help so that I am not doing the same thing over and over would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @TE16, I hope you're doing well!

Would you mind trying once again, to see if the same thing happens then? I'm asking because the behavior you described sounds rather odd. 

If you notice that it removed your icon from your device, let me know. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TE16 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?