cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on File Provider support for macOS questions

Dropbox on File Provider support for macOS questions

AndyPas
Explorer | Level 4

I'm reading quite a few threads on File Provider support for MacOS and I have some questions.

What exactly does this get me? It seems like a step backwards. I'm losing Dropbox Vault support and LAN Sync. I assume at some point, I will have no choice and Dropbox will force us to use File Provider support. Or will the existing sync method continue to work?

Second question. The KB article about it says that we will not get it if we have an external drive connected to our computer. Well, on one of my Macs, I have an external drive, but my Dropbox folder is not on it. Does this mean that I will never get File Provider support, or that I will only not get it, if I keep my Dropbox folder on the external drive?

Also, is File Provider support required across all my Macs?  Can I have File Provider support on one Mac and not the other?  Also, I have a Windows PC, and a Linux PC both which use the Dropbox client. Will that keep me from using this new File Provider support?

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II

suspect it will become mandatory because the change is being forced on us by Apple - it is doing the same with all cloud storage solutions and moving them in to a new folder structure. The change is caused by that not a Dropbox 'choice' as it were. 

In terms of if you need to do all devices, no, you dont. You could do 1 or 2 to trial and see how it goes and then roll out to others later. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

AndyPas
Explorer | Level 4

Well, neither of my 2 Macs say they are eligible and it doesn't tell me why. So, looks like I won't be using it anytime soon.

AndyPas_0-1720273139754.png

Not exactly sure what's going on here.

anmipa
Explorer | Level 4

Why do I want it?  What does it get me over traditional sync?

The lack of LAN sync really sucks. And not being able to keep my Dropbox folder on an external drive also sucks.

If I am giving up both those things, what am I getting in return to make my experience better?

anmipa
Explorer | Level 4

I don't think Apple is forcing anyone to use File Provider for MacOS. It's just a set of AIs that's available and clients can choose to use.

Plenty of Dropbox competitors don't use that API.

If this API genuinely brings something good to the table, I'd love to know what it is.

I believe it adds deeper Finder integration than what we have now. But I don't know if that's a benefit or not.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @anmipa - thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to the Community!

You can see all the expected changes on the Dropbox for Mac OS on File Provider on this page.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

anmipa
Explorer | Level 4

I saw that page before. I don't see the benefit of using it.

As an en-user of Dropbox, how will this help me over the built in Dropbox sync?

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer

File Provider is Apple's API for syncing going forward on their newer OS versions, and replaces the use of legacy means for supporting download-on-demand.  Dropbox users who have not yet opted into FP are running a version of sync that provides most, but not all of the functionality of Online-Only files.  Even that level of support is not guaranteed by Apple long-term, therefore all users on macOS will eventually need to move onto FP, or live in a world without download-on-demand (which is acceptable to some, but not all of our users--in particular those with more Dropbox than can fit on their local hard drive).  We're continuing to work towards delivering the full feature set for FP, including external drive support and more.

AndyPas
Explorer | Level 4

So if I don't care about Online-Only or File-On-Demand, File Provider for Mac OS really doesn't get me anything?

If I want all my files local all the time, then could I continue to use the legacy client and have access to LAN Sync? Or will that go away forever at some point and Dropbox will only support FP?

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer

Unfortunately, that's getting into the realm of long-term Product strategy, etc, where I am surely incapable of commenting on a public forum!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AndyPas Explorer | Level 4
    billgdbx Dropbox Engineer
    anmipa Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?