cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problem accessing Dropbox

The Dropbox desktop application can't be opened on Mac OS, why?

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

I have a Mac desktop and have been using a basic Dropbox account for a number of years on this as well as an iPad and iPhone.  Because of an issue with the OS, we had to wipe the hard drive clean and basically start from scratch.  I did have an external hard drive and also used the cloud.  My problem is that when I click on the Dropbox App I get a message from Finder saying Dropbox can't be opened.

I have tried deleting the App and downloading the App new, however Dropbox always takes me to the online application, which I do not want to use.  I have tried using an incognito window to download the App and it requires that I sign in and I am not finding a way to download the Aoo.  I went to the Apple store and it just shows third party Apps.

I would appreciate any suggestions from the community!

Thank you!

26 Replies 26

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Megan!

I actually have tried it several times with the same response.  I got to a place at one point where I was in the right account, however it did not accept me signing in; it said I needed to sign in on the "Team Account" - I do not have a team account.

Right now I am trying to delete the account that I never set up and it is requiring that I set up a password in order to delete it.  

I have used my Dropbox account for years and value it very much.  This has been incredibly frustrating; seems like there should be an easier solution than setting up and account in order to delete it.

Thanks for trying.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I see, @TE16.

Can you take a look at your account's connected devices and let me know how many you've currently connected to your account?

Do you have more than 3, which is the device limit for our Basic plan? 

As for deleting your account, would you mind clarifying the exact error, please? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan ~

It keeps saying two other devices which would be an iphone and ipad.

I am not sure what you mean by exact error.  The issue when I try to download the App is that it defaults to a Gmail email account that I never set up.  I am unable to change it to the email my account is under which is a Comcast email account.  The one time I was able to get it to a sign in for the Comcast email account it says "Sign in to a team account" in a little red box at the top of the page.  I do not have a team account.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @TE16, would you mind sending over a screenshot of the exact error you're getting on your end about Dropbox not being able to be opened? 

Also, are you logged into the correct Dropbox account when you visit your account online, when you re-install the app? 

You should be able to see this by checking your General tab here

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

I could not get a screen shot because as soon as I hit Command/Shift/4 it disappears.  I have taken a photo.IMG_6181.jpeg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot @TE16!

So, just a little recap to make sure we're on the same page: in regards to the Comcast Dropbox account, it seems you're not able to sign in neither through the app, nor the website, right?

You're connected both online, and on the app using your Gmail Dropbox account, is that correct? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your help Megan!

First of all; I don't have a gmail account on Dropbox.  I have never signed up for one.  What I have said previously in the chain is that once I signed up through Google and I believe that is what has the system believing that I have a gmail account on Dropbox.  Before this, I had no problem getting with my Comcast account.  I can't sign in the gmail account on Dropbox because I never set one up and did not set up a password.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Keep in mind that you're currently signed into our Community using a gmail account @TE16

Which means that there's a Gmail linked Dropbox account. You can see the email here.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

I understand that Dropbox thinks there is an account in my gmail address.  I have never set one up for my gmail address.  There is no password and there is nothing in the account from what I can see.

Again, I believe that Dropbox thinks I have an account because I made the mistake of trying to sign in when I was trying to set up my computer last week with Google.  In order to sign in via Google, it means I sign in with my gmail address.

As much as I appreciate the help, I feel that I am going in circles and nothing is being accomplished.  I sincerely need help to get this up and running.  If not, I will download the information on there and move it to my computer which I prefer not to do.

I would appreciate any help that I can get.

Thanks

TE16
Explorer | Level 3

I have not heard from anyone today about the issue I am experiencing.  This is an ongoing issue since July 4, 2023.  I appreciate various people stepping in to try to help however so far there is no workable solution or an article that deals with the problem I am having.  Is there someone who is willing to help?  Is there a phone number I can call to work through the issue?  I have updates I need to do through my computer that I am unable to do on my mobile devices and need help as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Need more support?