cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CONTINUE SUPPORT macos 10.11, 10.11

Request regarding MacOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & 10.11 (El Capitan)

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just received a notice that dropbox will cease support for OS 10.10 and 10.11.

The notice, giving it the most leeway i can, indicated that i should consider upgrading my OS or use a web browser.  This is not always possible.

For many of us, we are at the end of the line re: OS upgrades. I have an old macbook pro that i use for a few light tasks - but the data must be available on others machines. I use dropbox for this.  I also cannot use the web browser unless i wish to upload files with each change.  Impractical.

I will likely wind up switching to a different cloud service, which i would prefer not to do - yet maybe i must.

I don't know why you are ending support. The clients exist already and are unlikely to require many changes, if any.  Please reconsider.

--justmeinNJ

84 Replies 84

jennyinabottle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So sad to read a standard reply to loyal users.
I started using Dropbox in 2011, it was great. Sorry to say, I have to leave it now. You cannot force us to buy a new Mac to use your services. Bye bye.

Antonio28
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. I can not upgrade my Macos, otherwise, other apps won´t work.

The dropbox answer to all of us is simply a joke. 

So, after 10 satisfactory years running four different accounts for my different businesses, I'll look another storage service, and stop recommending dropbox.

Bye

jsahab
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Miserable decision and miserable answer from the support too.

I'm thinking of migrating too.

This behavior is not up to the mark of the quality of the software.

Marty9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Bad service.  Dropping dropbox.  My husband and I will have to share our files through email.

Backcountry1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, I found a work-around of sorts, that may be of interest to some.  Firstly,  while still using El Cap OS, I found that I could use Dropbox web browser version on Google Chrome, not other browsers. That gave me a manual way to keep updating some Dropbox files with a colleague. I had to revert to using an external hard drive for my routine back-ups though.  Secondly, a thoughtful IT guy suggested I update my OS just to 10.13.0, High Sierra then 10.13.6, and not lose use of any of my apps. He was right.  All my apps still work, with a few minor exceptions. Dropbox and Zoom work again too. Thus I can keep my macbook air limping along for a few more months until EOL for High Sierra.  I admit that my macbook air seems to get hotter running this OS, but that's an issue I can monitor and control - I trust.  Hope this may be useful to some of you.

Need more support?