cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: CONTINUE SUPPORT macos 10.11, 10.11

Request regarding MacOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & 10.11 (El Capitan)

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just received a notice that dropbox will cease support for OS 10.10 and 10.11.

The notice, giving it the most leeway i can, indicated that i should consider upgrading my OS or use a web browser.  This is not always possible.

For many of us, we are at the end of the line re: OS upgrades. I have an old macbook pro that i use for a few light tasks - but the data must be available on others machines. I use dropbox for this.  I also cannot use the web browser unless i wish to upload files with each change.  Impractical.

I will likely wind up switching to a different cloud service, which i would prefer not to do - yet maybe i must.

I don't know why you are ending support. The clients exist already and are unlikely to require many changes, if any.  Please reconsider.

--justmeinNJ

84 Replies 84

Emarjay
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have two Macsā€¦ one running 10.10 (mid 2009 MacBook Pro) and one running 10.11 (LATE 2009 iMac). When you check for updates on the machines, it says no updates available. However, I checked here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683 and the list showed that my LATE 2009 iMac would run 10.12 AND 10.13. The 10.12 download wouldnā€™t work but 10.13 did and my iMac is now running on that, High Sierra. All being well, the iMac will sync after the 17th Oct. 

The Dropbox files on my MacBook are now being bypassed when I work by linking both machines over the network so that the only Dropbox files being used are the ones on the iMac. The downside is that Adobe CS5 apps donā€™t run on the Mac now but I can do all that work on the MacBook. Iā€™m retired so no longer need to take the MacBook walk-about. 

Just wanted to let people know about the Apple support list as there may be others whose machines CAN be updated even though their system says they canā€™t. DO CHECK that software will continue to run if machines are updated though.

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Interesting that my 2009 might upgrade to a later version.  Thank you - it will at least buy me a year or two.

But i have a pair of very productive Macbook Pro 15" machines that cannot be upgraded past Sierra (for non processor reasons I'll stay out of...)

So the basic issue, for me, is that dropbox ought to support older version longer in general.  Macs, unlike cheapo $400 PCs are not disposable.

Robinz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Emarjay I don't see where you can find out what OS your old model Mac can handle. I appreciate the link with all the older OS. I never knew you could Access those!

Colin W.1
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

If you want to push your older Mac hardware past its supported range as set by Apple it is quite easy to do with some patches that a developer made when he was in similar situation though he no longer supports/updates. This work fine on a very old MacBook Pro 6,2 2010 of mine, though it is slow on a rotating disk it runs Catalina 10.15.7 and has been through at least one macOS updates as a test machine (very occasional use by me) to see/check how my key working tools are in that environment. Font tools, Adobe, dtrace etc etc...

Read up about the patchers at dosdude1.com

Best tried on a spare machine and have an escape /restore route, in case šŸ˜‰

There are a few how to guides out there at fixit.com and the like...

Emarjay
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

To find the max os for my Mac, I think I searched Google for "What is maximum os my late 2009 Mac will run?" which gives links to info. You are not wanting to UPDATE your OS, you need to UPGRADE the OS. That seems to be why the Mac itself may say "No updates availableā€.

meclem
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Not only I cannot update but am not willing to (for monies needed and for the absolute lack of help shown here)

Can people share a valid alternative to dropbox please?

Chern
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hello... I've moved to pCloud. There are many other services out there aside from Dropbox and G drive. Search around..

And I've done previously on different macs, upgraded to Mojave using dosdude patch, all sorts of stuff to give extra life span to my macs.

Some work. Some don't. For what I want to do at work, to keep using publishing software which are stable, non subscription, I stay on 10.11.

I have stopped Dropbox on my 10.11 machines. They are all on pcloud now. I cross sync pCloud with my existing Dropbox for a few more weeks and then I'll uninstall Dropbox altogether. No point keeping two copies of the same files. Migrating is a royal PITA, but at least it's done.

At least I know pcloud still supports old systems for now. If that buys me a few more years for my beloved workhorses, so be it. I'll take that deal any given day.

Said goodbye to the Dropbox tech support fellow too.

meclem
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

thank you!

rpowerstx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Legacy systems are hard to support. Move on.

rpowerstx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Legacy systems are hard to support. Move on.

Capitalism works....If there is a need, someone is doing it. 

Need more support?