cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CONTINUE SUPPORT macos 10.11, 10.11

Request regarding MacOS X 10.10 (Yosemite) & 10.11 (El Capitan)

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just received a notice that dropbox will cease support for OS 10.10 and 10.11.

The notice, giving it the most leeway i can, indicated that i should consider upgrading my OS or use a web browser.  This is not always possible.

For many of us, we are at the end of the line re: OS upgrades. I have an old macbook pro that i use for a few light tasks - but the data must be available on others machines. I use dropbox for this.  I also cannot use the web browser unless i wish to upload files with each change.  Impractical.

I will likely wind up switching to a different cloud service, which i would prefer not to do - yet maybe i must.

I don't know why you are ending support. The clients exist already and are unlikely to require many changes, if any.  Please reconsider.

--justmeinNJ

84 Replies 84

TGVW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

bwt. I would be happy to have an unsupported version too.

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Not a great answer.  You have heard from me and others that upgrading is not always an option.

Your "solution" is to upgrade.

I hoped someone might at least take the comment seriously and look into ways to extend support.

Regurgitating the already stated, and already disliked, position is not helpful.

justmeinNJ

Robinz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I've been edged out by Dropbox before on a much older Mac, but this time it will topple my business. My main computer runs El Capitan, which is a pretty reliable OS. I can't update this computer. It is not possible. I'm outraged!!

Chern
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
@Robinz that's right. 10.10 and 10.11 is stable. It works with software and formats that sometimes no longer exist... wait till Dropbox gives 30 days notice for Mojave and Catalina users. If you think this is bad... all the mid-decade Macs will fall off like flies on the zapper

@Walter - Is it a ridiculous idea you escalate this to @Drew? Houston, we have a problem.

Robinz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I agree they should have given us more notice, like 6 months to rearrange our lives and businesses around this news. I would register complaints on Twitter and customer support. I'm willing to participate in any other ideas for complaints.

Iapo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter,
Does the end of support for OS X 10.10 and OS X 10.11 systems mean that Mac folders will no longer sync? Or is the end of support for some other Dropbox app that opens in a separate window?

eblake
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a 2009 vintage iMac, running OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6.  It can not be upgraded to any other OS!  Please continue supporting the older system!

Chern
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi @LaPo it will no longer sync on app. And it will no longer be supported (help)

Only way is web browser access.

Trev Post Cap
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Absolutely disgusting, with less than a months notification, I’m just simply not willing to sacrifice a lifetime of work just so I can continue using Dropbox. I’m already looking at alternatives ready to cancel my Dropbox subscription.

justmeinNJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Right. This is the crux of the issue. Due to processor differences, most 2008/9 vintage macs will not ruin anything past 10.11.  This really ought to be delayed at least 2 more years.  A solution is beyond any of our ability --- except dropbox who simply don't want to do regression testing.

Need more support?