cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 10 context menu suddenly has way too many Dropbox entries

Remove Dropbox options from the context menu.

pgr
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, recently Dropbox has started cramming my Explorer context menu with all of these options I mostly don't plan to use:

pgr_0-1677930157754.png

Come on. Do you think it's ok to just dump all your stuff in there? If every app on my PC would do the same, would I have to manage dozens of entries on that menu? This is terrible UI design, it's bloat, it's disrespectful of your users.

How do I turn that off? I only use "Copy dropbox link", not the others.

Thanks.

33 Replies 33

TB_
New member | Level 2

This is hardly a new problem, but it continues to amaze me. I figured it would have been addressed by now.

How does Dropbox think it's okay to overload the context menu with their garbage?

• there is no option to disable in settings
  • majority of users need all these features
  • the actions could easily be condensed into a menu (similar to the open-source PeaZip example below)
  • as a power user I had registry hacks to remove entirely but that ability was removed in a previous update

End result is that I only launch Dropbox as needed to sync. The first time I right click on a file it reminds me to exit the app. Also this has convinced me to never subscribe to a premium plan. I mean, why would I? A large, publicly traded company ignoring years of user feedback about a huge pain in their core service. There's plenty of other options.

Dropbox Context Menu.png

Mike
New member | Level 2

I'm pretty sure there used to be one Dropbox entry with the various options in a sub-menu. I'm guessing the current version is a bug that causes the options to not be in the sub-menu? I just noticed it today, I'm using Dropbox 201.4.5552 on Windows 10. Hopefully it will be fixed soon, thank you!

84BfYWN

Rich
Super User II

@Mike wrote:

I'm guessing the current version is a bug that causes the options to not be in the sub-menu?

This isn't a bug. It's been like this for a very long time.

Peter730
New member | Level 2

Please add a way to get rid of all the dropbox in the right click context menu.

Or at least join them to one "fold out" line. Like "show>" "sort by>" "New>" and so on.

But, really, i saw someone brought this issue up in 2020- and it is still not fixed.

I have to exit dropbox to make the context menu go away, then I forget to turn it on again. 

Most programs have this as a setting, so you can turn it on/off AND change what is on the menu. 

I bet Microsoft could help you if you sent them an E-mail asking for help on how to make it a "fold out" menu.

*why do i need to add a Lable to be able to post this? None of the lables makes any sense to this issue....

Need more support?