cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Remove Dropbox options from the context menu.

Remove Dropbox options from the context menu.

pgr
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, recently Dropbox has started cramming my Explorer context menu with all of these options I mostly don't plan to use:

pgr_0-1677930157754.png

Come on. Do you think it's ok to just dump all your stuff in there? If every app on my PC would do the same, would I have to manage dozens of entries on that menu? This is terrible UI design, it's bloat, it's disrespectful of your users.

How do I turn that off? I only use "Copy dropbox link", not the others.

Thanks.

33 Replies 33

baspo
Explorer | Level 4

I also am not happy with all these entries in the context menu when right-clicking a file.  I have 8 entries dedicated to dropbox alone, which I cannot disable.  This is more than a little annoying.  At the very least, could they be clustered into a single entry that could expand when hovered over, similar to how 7zip works in the menu?

midrare
Helpful | Level 5

Everyone: I figured out how to do this. Save this as "disable.reg" and double click. You're welcome.

If you want to revert, do the same thing but replace every instance of ="" with =-

NB141
Collaborator | Level 8

Dropbox menus do look and feel a bit wordy and clunky in Windows 11 especially when compared to the competition.....

NB141_0-1718000169617.png 

The context menu changes when selecting an individual file.

NB141_0-1718002073333.png

Dropbox tries to use only one context menu for everything ... 

NB141_0-1718001503026.png

christianius
Helpful | Level 5
Thanks for the tip, midrare.
Can we trust that your fix is safe?
Best, C

midrare
Helpful | Level 5

It's what I'm using with zero issues. All this does is add Dropbox context menu shell extensions to a blacklist in the registry. I'd be surprised if anything happened.

pgr
Helpful | Level 6

I agree that the Registry edit should be quite ok. Just a question -

I had previously attempted basically the same as your registry tweaks by using utility apps that allow "editing" the Windows context menus. These are just UI's that tweak the registry for you.

But the problem I had with Dropbox what that it was "all or nothing". You can either remove all option, or get all of them, but you can't remove ones but keep the others. And you can't put them all in a sub-menu.

So, do you know of any way to remove some options but keep others? Until Dropbox fix the blatant mistake, of course.

JohnCoool
Explorer | Level 4

I want to remove all dropbox entries from the context menu.

I have used the tips provided by the support here in the forum.

I also used tools to edit the menu context menu and removed several items from there.

But nothing I do is reflecting in the results.

It seems that the new update is not working like it used to.

Please provide a solution that will remove the entries from the context menu.

midrare
Helpful | Level 5

You need to edit the .reg file. You see the lines with =""? There's  one for each context menu item. ="" adds to the blacklist (disables) and =- removes from the blacklist (enables). You need some trial and error to determine which ones you have to set to what. If you do this, please do report back and tell me which items correspond to which menu items so I can update the labels.

JohnCoool
Explorer | Level 4

Are you replying to me?

I don't get how this forum works. Suddenly there are entries that start from even before I posted my question.

If you are replying to me then please give better details.

JohnCoool
Explorer | Level 4

Ok I got it. I saved the reg file and ran it.

Seems good so far.

Thanks Midrare

Need more support?