cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall the dropbox app

Reinstall the dropbox app

nige45
Explorer | Level 3

I accidentally interrupted reinstalling the Dropbox app on my Windows 10 desktop while I was trying to deal with sync issues. 

As a result, I am now in the following mess.

1) all my files are visible and up-to-date at dropbox.com

2) they seem to be replicated in a folder called Dropbox(Old) on my desktop 

3) there is an empty folder called Dropbox on my desktop.

My aim is to reinstall the app on my desktop in such a way that my files are replicated in the Dropbox folder, and Dropbox(Old) is deleted.

Is it possible to do this, please? Or are there better alternatives? I am almost completely ignorant of the underlying technical issues.

Thank you. 

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @nige45, let's jump right into this! 

As a first step, can you clarify what you mean when you say that all of your files are visible when you visit your account online? 

Are we talking about the content inside your Dropbox folder, or did you happen to enable Backup, by any chance? 

If you visit your app's preferences, and then go under the Sync tab, do you see the actual path of your Dropbox folder? Does that seem to be a different path, or the path of your Dropbox(old) folder? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nige45
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, I meant that when I visit my account online, my files are listed under "all files", and their content is displayed by clicking on the filenames, as usual.

Secondly, I have not knowingly enabled any Backup process. And when you refer to content inside your Dropbox folder, I am not sure which folder you mean! The Dropbox folder on my PC is empty.

You then ask If you visit your app's preferences... But I don't think I have the app right now - I think I succeeded in uninstalling it. My aim is to reinstall it! 

I believe that my PC file management system currently shows that the path of my empty Dropbox folder (on my PC) is

> User > Dropbox

and that the path of the folder Dropbox(Old) is

> User > Dropbox(Old) 

I'm sorry it's so awkward to explain what has happened!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @nige45, the best option is to perform an advanced reinstallation of the Dropbox desktop application, which should allow the files to download from the site. 

You might need to delete the Dropbox (Old) folder afterwards.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nige45
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for this, Jay. 

I have clicked on the link in your message, and looked at the instructions for advanced reinstallation;  I am not at all sure that I am competent to follow them. There are terms I do not understand, such as system tray and Windows Registry editor - hopefully I can google these.

I note that step 1 says quit the Dropbox desktop app.  But I have (at least partially) already uninstalled the desktop app! The same remark must also affect step 2. So do I just dive in at step 3?

And the note says Don’t delete the main Dropbox folder (with your files) in File Explorer on your computer. At no point in this process should you be deleting that folder. Which folder does this refer to in my situation? Is it the Dropbox file (which is empty)? or the Dropbox(Old) file (which contains my files)?

I should also mention that an icon I have not seen before appeared on my desktop a few days ago. It is a globe with a tick, and the label void() or void0. Could this be related to my sync and/or Dropbox issues?

Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Yes, for the time being, don't delete any Dropbox folder. 

As for the icon you're referring to, I'm not sure it belongs to Dropbox.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nige45
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

To be 100% clear:  I assume that your answer "yes" applies to my "do I just dive in at step 3?"

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Yes, just continue at whatever step you're not on at this time.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    nige45 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?