cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently Changed Files aren't...recent.

Recently Changed Files aren't...recent.

Dave E.1
Helpful | Level 6

I'm baffled as to why when I look at the dropbox app's list of supposedly 'Recently Changed FIles' NONE of them are recent;y changed files.
Right at the top of the list are often files I'd totally forgotten I'd even got in dropbox!
How come this list seems to be totally random files from my dropbox storage and certainly ***NOT*** recently changed or added files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dave E.1
Helpful | Level 6

Well I guess that's me very neatly swept under the carpet then!
Even though Dropbox for Linux Mint is advertised and available for download for Linux Mint, Dropbox are not prepared to look into problems with it!
Wow....
I guess "I'll get my coat!"

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Mark
Super User II

Is something else changing them? 

For example updating the metadata due to being updated in iTunes?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dave E.1
Helpful | Level 6

I guess that's exactly why I came here to ask.
If I knew anything that would be changing or updating my dropbox files, then I'd know the answer myself.
The list of supposedly 'recently changed files' are of varying file types.
A lot of PDF's, some image files, documents, spreadsheets etc.
Some of when they are indeed 'recent' may have been changed by me, but they're mostly old files, and PDF's and images, are not being edited or changed, so why are they in the list?

Dave E.1
Helpful | Level 6

At the very top of the list right now is a PDF document that - when I look at it with my file manager - shows it was created and modified on 23/10/23 three months ago. So that's the date I will have saved it in my dropbox folder.
It will not have been touched - or shouldn't have been touched - by anything since then.
Why is it showing up as being a recently changed file?

Dave E.1
Helpful | Level 6

I created and saved a new file in my dropbox folder two days ago and that doesn't show up anywhere in the 'recently changed files' list???

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Dave E.1, I'd be happy to help!

As a first step, can you clarify your OS, and the version of the Dropbox app that you're using on your end? 

What is the syncing status of the app at the moment?

Also, I'd like to see a few more screenshots of the web, and how the same shared content shows there. Are you able to see the new added files, when checking your Recents online?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dave E.1
Helpful | Level 6

OS is Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

Dropbox version is v190.4.6383

Syncing status is always syncing unless I tell it to pause which I never do!

Yes I can see new files I've added on the webpage version of dropbox, but again in that list of 'recent' files, just a few down the list is a PDF file it reckons was (added or altered?) yesterday.
I know for a fact that file was uploaded on 1st January 2 weeks ago and hasn't been touched since.
My linux file manager says it was accessed yesterday, but it wasn't by me! Not knowingly!
I'd be surprised if Dropbox records it as being uploaded (or altered) yesterday if it were just an access even if it's an access I know nothing about!

I don't share these files with anyone else.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @Dave E.1, most likely there is an app or service on your machine that is accessing the file somehow. 

It shouldn't necessarily change anything in the file, unless you see any new version history on the site for those files?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dave E.1
Helpful | Level 6

I appreciate your comments, but I'm not at all sure how this is helping?
All it's doing is raising more questions about different ways of looking at dropbox 'recent' files?
My original questions stands still stands.
"when I look at the dropbox app's list of supposedly 'Recently Changed FIles' NONE of them are recent;y changed files.
Right at the top of the list are often files I'd totally forgotten I'd even got in dropbox!
How come this list seems to be totally random files from my dropbox storage and certainly ***NOT*** recently changed or added files?"

Dave E.1
Helpful | Level 6

I can see I'm not getting anywhere here.
I don't have Itunes, and it's quite obvious that *something* is changing them! That's why I'm here asking for help.
But it seems no one here has any knowledge of how the system works and why it should report random files that haven't been altered in the 'Recently Changed Files' tab.
That's a shame. I guess I'll never find out!
It does make me slightly worried though that there could be some sort of security breech.
I have no way of knowing if someone is gaining access and looking at my files without my permission.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dave E.1 Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?