cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Link Sharing in Windows 11?

No Option to "Make Available Offline."

Jayson L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Honestly, this seemingly late "bringing to the forefront" (I guess you'd call it) of the whole "Online Only" vs. "Make Available Offline" thing has been more of a headache than a help, if I may offer my opinion.

I purchased a new ultra-portable Windows computer which has a 256GB SSD on board, but I plan on using my Dropbox files with it, and I have well over 256GB worth of stuff in my Dropbox.

The thing is that I'm often in situations in which I need offline access to my files.

So I purchased a 1 TB microSD card, which will never leave its slot in this machine. Heck, I can't even retrieve it, it seems.

I mounted it so that it isn't considered "Removable Media" by the computer, and then I proceeded to install Dropbox on the computer, with the intent of using the 1 TB card exclusively for Dropbox content...offline.

I left my machine to sync overnight, and what do you know? Everything has a stupid cloud next to it.

I have no option to "Make Available Offline," either in the file/folder context menu or in the Dropbox application > Preferences > Sync menu.

If this is by design, it's a pitifully stupid design.

I'm going to whatever lengths I can to make this work the way I envision, but I'm going to be awfully disappointed if Dropbox doesn't respect use cases that might not necessarily conform to a narrow definition.

If it's an issue with a recent update to the application, then please bug the developers posthaste.

125 Replies 125

nickgripton
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@NancyI just opened my preferences and early releases is already switched off. So not sure how I could have the Beta running. Maybe you released a beta into the wild?

I'll open a ticket... but please keep us all updated here.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @vegasesq, could you confirm your device's exact OS and the version and status of the Dropbox desktop app as shown in your taskbar?

If you could also send us a screenshot of the options you get when you right click on files in your Dropbox folder, we'd appreciate it. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mroman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Over the weekend, when I was away from my desk, I received emails saying that a ticket was opened, and then resolved. I see no ticket, no discussion, no updates, and have no resolution.

I just tried to right-click again on a Dropbox file in File Explorer - and there is no Dropbox context menu either on the first right-click or under Show More Options.

Just an update - this issue has yet to be resolved for me. Anyone else have resolution? 

onodanaoto
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I still have the same issue on my Win11 Desktop/Laptops.(3PCs are all same situation)

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mroman, how are you today?

I was able to locate your ticket number, and I saw that you responded there last night. I am assuming you were able to locate it then, right? 

Also, @onodanaoto, I just sent you an email too, so we can investigate on this. Thanks! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi there, a quick update.

When this problem occurred, I was traveling and on my laptop. My laptop is running Windows 11 22H2.

I am home now, and on my desktop again which I have not used for over 2 months from being away so the OS has not updated on the desktop. The desktop is running Windows 11 21H2 and the Dropbox context menus are showing and working on my desktop with this version if the Windows 11 OS.

Please note the two different versions of the OS.

Windows 11 22H2 (latest version) - Dropbox context menus DO NOT work

Windows 11 21H2 (older version) - Dropbox context menus DO work

LUNARWAVE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello

My 2 PCs:

a) 22H2

b) 21H2

they both do not show the context menu.

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@LUNARWAVE so strange that it works for me but not for you. 

My desktop was an upgrade from Windows 10 originally when the context menus were working so I do not know if upgrading to Windows 11 21H2 carried over from that. 

I know that my laptop which came with Windows 11 originally and I was just letting the automatic updates roll through each time they were available was always problematic with the context menus.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LUNARWAVE & @langshipley, thanks for updating this thread! 

I can see that Nancy sent an email to both of you individually. Were you able to respond back to her? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@Megan I saw Nancy's email, but I've literally just got off an airplane not too long ago and am just settling back into things. I will respond in the next day or so and provide her with all the information she's asked for. I haven't turned on my laptop yet to respond to her and get some screenshots that were requested. I'm working off my desktop right now which is okay as mentioned above.

Need more support?