cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Option to "Make Available Offline."

No Option to "Make Available Offline."

Jayson L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Honestly, this seemingly late "bringing to the forefront" (I guess you'd call it) of the whole "Online Only" vs. "Make Available Offline" thing has been more of a headache than a help, if I may offer my opinion.

I purchased a new ultra-portable Windows computer which has a 256GB SSD on board, but I plan on using my Dropbox files with it, and I have well over 256GB worth of stuff in my Dropbox.

The thing is that I'm often in situations in which I need offline access to my files.

So I purchased a 1 TB microSD card, which will never leave its slot in this machine. Heck, I can't even retrieve it, it seems.

I mounted it so that it isn't considered "Removable Media" by the computer, and then I proceeded to install Dropbox on the computer, with the intent of using the 1 TB card exclusively for Dropbox content...offline.

I left my machine to sync overnight, and what do you know? Everything has a stupid cloud next to it.

I have no option to "Make Available Offline," either in the file/folder context menu or in the Dropbox application > Preferences > Sync menu.

If this is by design, it's a pitifully stupid design.

I'm going to whatever lengths I can to make this work the way I envision, but I'm going to be awfully disappointed if Dropbox doesn't respect use cases that might not necessarily conform to a narrow definition.

If it's an issue with a recent update to the application, then please bug the developers posthaste.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Not sure if this is okay to share but in the interests of keeping everyone in this loop up to date...

Update: My Dropbox context menus are back. This solution works. Fingers crossed it stays that way!!

I have been exchanging emails with a very helpful Dropbox engineer and he has stepped me through a few options. Most didn't work. This latest one does, but it's a step back to a previous stable version of the app.

I was told that Dropbox are working on an updated version of the app that will bring back the context menus as they are aware of the problem. However, this may take a week or more. In the meantime, he suggested I roll back to an older version of the app that still works with the context menus on the latest version of Windows 11. You can find the download link to the install file here: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=158.4.4564&plat=win&type=full&arch=x64

Now, a few things to note:
1. You do not need to uninstall the existing app. Just click and install this older version on top of it. It will override the existing version.

2. Give it time. It takes a bit after the install to click online. Check that the older version of the app has "taken" by hovering over the Dropbox app icon and checking the app version. It should be 158.4.4564.

3. After the install is finished, Dropbox will sync and will re-index all your local files on your hard drive in the Dropbox folder. That will take a while, depending on how many files you have and how big the total storage space is. Be patient.

4. Your context menus will slowly come back online in Windows Explorer when you right-click as each file and folder finishes syncing and indexing. If you right-click and the Dropbox context menu isn't showing, it probably means it is still syncing and indexing. Again, be patient. Once that's finished, your context menus should be back for all your files and folders in Dropbox.

5. VERY IMPORTANT. You need to DISABLE the auto-update for Dropbox until the new stable version is installed (when it eventually comes out) and you stay on this version. 158.4.4564. To do that: open Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and go to the PROCESSES tab. Scroll down to BACKGROUND PROCESSES and keep scrolling until you get to "Dropbox Update Service (32 bit)" and click on that to highlight it. Then right-click and select "End task." That will disable the auto-update TEMPORARILY.

NOTE: if you reboot your computer, the Dropbox auto-update task will enable again, so each time you reboot, you will need to disable the auto-update process. Just repeat STEP 5. There is no real way to turn it off permanently, and there's a whole Dropbox thread about it. If you want to read about it, it's here. https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/How-to-disable-DropBox-Update/td-p/199292 I wouldn't recommend it anyway because you do actually want the auto update to work, and it's part of Dropbox's policy. I wouldn't mess with it anymore permanently. If you are in contact with a Dropbox engineer via email as part of this issue, they will be able to turn it off for you on their end, but you have to ask.

Good luck.

Shout out to the Dropbox engineer helping me. He was super helpful and very responsive.

View solution in original post

125 Replies 125

Jayson L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I should mention that there were no hang-ups when it came to installing and setting the microSD card as the Dropbox location on my computer.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jayson L., thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you attach a screenshot showing the full options you get when right clicking a file or folder in the Dropbox folder?

Could you also confirm the version of the Dropbox desktop application you're running on your device?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jayson L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Jay 

Here you go.

Dropbox Preferences.png

Dropbox Folder - SUBFOLDER.png

Dropbox Version.png

Dropbox Folder - FILE.png

Dropbox Selective Sync.png

Dropbox Files and Folders.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Do you have the computer in tablet or touchscreen mode?

Given that your Dropbox folder could indicate it was mounted, have you associated the SD card with a folder on your machine, instead of with a separate drive letter?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

TERRACE_87
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

When I right click on a file within my Dropbox files, the context menu options for Dropbox no longer show. 

Here is an example of what used to show (in yellow):

2.png

Here is an example of what it showing for me now:

11.png

Notice that the Dropbox links are no longer there. I didn't change anything for this to happen (settings, moved folders, etc.)

I'm running Windows 11 latest production version

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @TERRACE_87, I'd be happy to help! 

I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon next to your WiFi, and hover your mouse there. Once you do, can you let me know the version, and syncing status of the desktop application that you're using? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TERRACE_87
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

dropbox v159.3.5829

sync up to date

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @TERRACE_87, thanks for the speedy response! 

It seems you're using our beta version of the app, which could be causing this. Can you try to opt-out of it, and then install our stable version? 

Once you do that, let me know if the behavior of the app is the same. Thanks! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TERRACE_87
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

That fixed my issue. I didn't know that would cause it. Thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nickgripton Helpful | Level 5
    SG Roy Hew Explorer | Level 3
    Yayef New member | Level 2
    mroman Helpful | Level 6
    langshipley Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?